photozone.de

#2 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

With so many leaks there's no real surprises then!

#3 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

4K with FF width, fine. Pixel binning to get to that? Not that fine. Not usable for serious 4K also, then. Join the big club, D850. 

#4 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, finally. Very promising features. Hope they got quality control under control and will not have to change hardware after delivery. I'll definitely visit one of the roadshows in Switzerland. I'm a bit concerned, if this kind of fast shutter will be a reminiscence of the bad habits of the D800/E, but I'll see.

And for sure, I will bring some lenses to the event Nikon doesn't offer  ^_^

No matter how 4K that thing will be - I don't fance video in a DSLR anyway as the whole concept of use is far away of practical. In case it is bad, it's a good thing to comfort the poor Canon shooters.  :D There has to be a least some thing Canon does better.

#5 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,005 posts
  • LocationWesterwald, Germany

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

Similar here, couldn't care less about 4K. Otherwise, I definitely look forward to it... a little less weight to carry around ;)

@JoJu: I'll probably order one, soon, if the roadshows don't offer enough time or insight, I'm sure we can find a place and time for some hand-on time if you like :)

Editor
photozone.de

#6 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,373 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

A little less? Still more than 1kg! Insane.

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#7 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

I also plan to buy one, depending on the shutter noise and vibration. I really love the D810 for being comparatively silent.

Nonetheless, I want to tame my impatience this time.

1. too often I had a camera and no suitable RAW converter able to deal with the new file type
  2. early adopters are the test-pilots these days as manufacturers apparently become lazy with enough testing. So, some issues will not appear in the first two weeks.
  3. There are lots of those events in Switzerland (one in Lausanne at Sept. 2nd) but I also noticed there's an evening with a circus/varieté show close to Zürich and want to find out if there's a possibility to try out the new baby. I'm curious about the lowlight and AF performance as well.

#8 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

4K with FF width, fine. Pixel binning to get to that? Not that fine. Not usable for serious 4K also, then. Join the big club, D850. 

Isn't it BC?   My guess is will please many looking for that shallow depth of field on that FF sensor!

I'm going to wait for the results before decrying anything around the video department.........

..........However, here is a sports "high resolution" FF camera body that is capable of shooting 9Fps shooting speed (with battery grip), set against the competition this puts the camera in it's "own league" ......

Silent shooting is of course in Nikon's LV mode due to a lack of electronic viewfinder, but at least it's there and will encourage the wedding shooters to stick with their Nikon DSLRs for a few years more.

No sign however of Canon's magic PDAF in LV, so no smooth AF in video, but who expected anything different?

The word is that it's new backlit sensor is very low noise..............

..........I think we will be seeing new levels of IQ from wildlife shooters, for those lucky enough to be shooting with the latest Nikor telephoto AF-S 500/600/800mm,  (ie not me)....... can now "shoot at speeds" that up till now have been limited to 20 Mps sensors or so. 

Is this Nikon's "Swansong" in the DSLR market or the penultimate model?............either way it's an impressive piece of kit, of course I would love one!...my only criticism at this stage is the lack of PDAF which leaves Canon unique in this department.

One thing to mention is what is going to happen to the D5? .... with it's 20 Mps resolution and AA filter it's only real "gotcha" is it's extra three FPS..........

......D5  sales will plummet now! 

#9 Claus

Claus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

Hahaha BC, so lame arguments.
I think this camera will be on top for several years. Believe it or not.
  • JoJu likes this

#10 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,005 posts
  • LocationWesterwald, Germany

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

too often I had a camera and no suitable RAW converter able to deal with the new file type

Yeah, not too happy about that part... this might mark the end of aperture over here finally.
Editor
photozone.de

#11 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

Well, Fuji already killed it for me. And with 1.4TB the Nikon lib is already a candidate for "close to the end" but I'm still amazed how well Aperture handles this chunk of pictures.

Interesting: The new D850 has a new menu "film digitalizing" or something like that. Together with a neagtive and slide adapter, some tubes and a diffusor, the camera serves as well as negative scanner which saves "scanned" color negatives color-corrected as JPGs. It's not rocket science, but quite a nice idea. (lens not included, but there must be some kind of additional optics)

#12 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

Well Nikon have announced a US price of $3,296.95  that seems to be very reasonable indeed, exactly the same price as the 5D MKIV !   There's no comparison between the two cameras....... the Nikon leaves the Canon in the dust!

But who would buy the D5 now?

#13 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

It leaves it in the dirt of the dust of the dust. :)

Who would buy a D5? Every pro who wants 2 XQD cards or CF cards for whatever reason. And every person who needs to put his name authentified into the EXIF. And everybody who doesn't like to drive nails into a wall with a simple hammer. Also the people saying "sorry, the real Trump is just not worth 45 MP"

#14 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

Isn't it BC?   My guess is will please many looking for that shallow depth of field on that FF sensor!

You get that at 1080P too. 4K is all about extra resolution, and the pixel binning is not the best solution for that (the Sony A9 does oversampling).

Like I said, another hampered 4K feature like so many.

Personally I am not interested in 4K capabilities, though.

#15 toni-a

toni-a

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationLebanon

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

Nikon are making another solid well built camera with no spectacular innovations, hope then innovation is in reliability. From a marketing point of view this camera i to cannibalize the sales of D5 as Dave said, Nikon need to reshape their marketing strategies, and it's obvious their marketing isn't a WOW, D850 has by far more features than 5DmkIV (aside video auto-focus which is a major plus for Canon though) yet again is expected to sell much more, same goes for D500/7D

#16 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

I think Nikon is doing fine in terms of DSLR users....or is it we just want "it all now and in ML form"? 

Nikon's perfecting the DSLR quite simply.......and giving us the lot.   

No revolutions, but for the moment I'm not looking for one......costly things revolutions!

#17 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

And someone has to be "first against the wall when the revolution comes" :D

Volunteers?

Innovations? Don"t think Nikon dares to innovate (meaning "something unseen or unthought before") but specwise it has all and a bit more what could be expected. With video or video AF I will wait to talk about until I make my own poor attempts. Quite the internet syndrome: judging a thing before trying for myself. I'm not free of that but will try to improve.

It's not only another solid camera, toni. 9 fps and one frame is something like 70 MB in compressed Raw. I don't believe one of my harddrives will write 630 MB/s. Also, the in-camera AFMA will certainly make life easier. As well as the illuminated buttons and tiltable touchscreen. Which itself is a revolution in Nikon FF land.

#18 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

Looking at the sample images, higher ISO noise performance is not that impressive as some might think. ISO 4000 already is pretty noisy, not anything were are not used to for many years in other DSLRs (luckily for Nikon the Canon 5DS-R still is noisier).

http://www.scvr.nl/images/vb_02.jpg

And lifting shadows 4 stops at ISO 100 is not at all suggesting very high DR figures either (nothing like the D800/810).

Download Original

I do not care much about that high DR at base ISO thing, but I wonder what all the "we need 14+ stops of DR" posters will say now.

#19 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

They will remain in peace and leave you in your own universe of "I decided to stay happy with the DR Canon so generously provided to me". :)

Why not? Not everybody faces critical light situations. Before I don't have seen my own pictures at high ISO, I will not judge the new kid in town. Since you don't need high ISO or high DR numbers you're for sure the right person to tell us what's good and what not [\sarcasm]

#20 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

Another silly reaction from JoJu. 

See the ISO 100 RAW yourself, for the DR of the D850. And you praise Sigma cameras, with the lowest DR imaginable.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de