#1 stoppingdown

stoppingdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationGenoa / Milan, Italy

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

My MPB is currently running Sierra. I planned the upgrade to High Sierra for Christmas, since in Italy we usually have a rather long holidays and there's time to work on it without being pressured by my job, including having time in order to fix some major problem. BTW, I've still to check whether all the apps I'm using are compatible.

But I'm worried as some people, e.g. digilloyd, is reporting to have tons of problems with the upgrade:

https://diglloyd.com...a-troubles.html

Including a very bad performance with the new file system, APFS - curiously, it's one of the things I was eager to have...

Does anybody experience similar issues?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm ƒ/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm ƒ/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm ƒ/2.8, Samyang 8mm ƒ/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm ƒ/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

#2 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

It's currently running on my MacBook Pro from 2015. For occasional FaceTime and some playing around with a CaptureOne Beta. If I say "no issues so far", then it's from less than two hours/week. I don't like using laptops. But SuperDuper is now available to backup even the new file type so I hop in time the issues will disappear. Very often the uneven version of Mac OS were producing more bugs or malfunctions. A couple of times I skipped updating (never used 10.9, 10.7 was installing and after a while back to 10.6 for a very long time)

Edit: Just checked: the main SSD is APFS formatted. Music and pictures are on a different drive which is Mac OS journaled. That drive is no SSD. I remember some posts in a Mac forum years ago complaining how badly Apple is treating SSD, but none of mine ever collapsed (three so far).

And the update went pretty straightforward with a longer wait because of the new file system, but now it's behaving the way it was before. I cannot say something bad. But I don't do any challenging stuff with it. Are the long copying times because of the transformation from AFPS to Mac OS? I always separate OS from data partitions.

Just tried to copy the Library of the system to the data drive. It took a while to count up to 150.000 objects, it will need 5 min for 14 GB - for this tiny files, it appears reasonable to me.

#3 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,453 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Just got myself a MBP and updated to High Sierra. So far - no issues (within my use cases).

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#4 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationWesterwald, Germany

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:51 AM

Smooth upgrade here, too, both on my 2016 MBP as well the (officially no longer supported) 2008 Mac Pro. Updated on first day (since I never had severe issues with any upgrade since 10.4).

The only minor issues I have found so far are:

- Aperture (officially not compatible with High Sierra) reliably crashes when I connect my iPhone to the MBP. Seems it can't open the import dialogue or can't handle that the iPhone is locked

- File open/File save dialogue window opens too small in old applications and needs to be resized to be usable (happens in Aperture and Office for Mac 2011, for example).

Otherwise, thinks just work here. As usual.
Editor
photozone.de

#5 stoppingdown

stoppingdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the answers - I guess that guy hit a very specific upgrade issue.

But... beware of this:

https://www.wired.co...erra-hack-root/

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm ƒ/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm ƒ/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm ƒ/2.8, Samyang 8mm ƒ/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm ƒ/2 

#6 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Just got a "Black Friday" MBA yesterday evening, just now checked your link with the root issue:  :blink: these bloody bastards of infantile, irresponsible gameboys really f***ed up big time. How can a quality control can pass such a crap?

Okay, one needs to be on the computer in person, but still... I'll check tonight with Sierra. Did I mention the uneven versions as buggy?

Sidenote: I just tried to quickview a D850 RAW - not displaying. Apple again the last at the RAW party. They're just to busy to work on how to hide their benefits best!

#7 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Newsflash: there apparently exists an obscure operating system called Microsoft Windows. Anyone tried it?  :rolleyes:

#8 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

Uhm, yeah, started with version 2.03, sticked to it for two decades before switching sides. Never looked back ;)

Regarding the (no doubt silly) root issue: use the directory tool to enable and password protect the root account and you're safe until the unavoidable update is released.
Editor
photozone.de

#9 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Windows? The virus and trojan magnet? Yeah, why not. 95 was plenty of fun, 8 as well.  :wacko:

Good idea Markus, I just was not aware until today that a root account is existing without having created it actively.

#10 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

It exists, but usually is disabled by default. For now, actively enabling it solves the issue. But remember to disable the account again once Apple releases the update.

P.S.: nothing beats Win ME in terms of fun ;)
Editor
photozone.de

#11 mike

mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

Just don't type "root"..... In my office we finally got approved to go to the latest Sierra version. We had to wait for Apple to fix the security flaws first and then verify them. It'll probably some time before we can go to HS.

Unfortunately we also had security issues with the latest iOS... Are the apples starting to fall of the trees?

#12 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

Newsflash: there apparently exists an obscure operating system called Microsoft Windows. Anyone tried it?  :rolleyes:

Do you mean that OS that for security verification asks if it is ok that a certain for software thing wants to do something, asking you to click yes or no?  :D  :lol:  :blink:  :wacko:

#13 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

Do you mean that OS that for security verification asks if it is ok that a certain for software thing wants to do something, asking you to click yes or no?  :D  :lol:  :blink:  :wacko:

You make it sound like it's a bad thing.  :rolleyes: After all, one's life is their own responsibility and they can choose whichever way of dealing with it.  :P

#14 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

Here's the fix already:

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT208315
Editor
photozone.de

#15 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

You make it sound like it's a bad thing.  :rolleyes: After all, one's life is their own responsibility and they can choose whichever way of dealing with it.  :P

Yeah, one should accept Windows as a philosophical challenge. Not meant to work with but giving us a lot to think about life, universe and the rest.

Speaking of challenge: Last two weeks I was busy with an update from  Win 7 to Win 10. Hours and hours to transfer preferences, making screenshots (!) of printer settings to transfer it to the new machine. Last night I got a new Mac. Within one hour I was good to go, transferred profiles, preferences and apps from another Mac to the new one. It's nearly a pity that they last so long - migrating form one to anotehrn machine is such an easy game...  :D

#16 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

Haha... I feel that I've been treading on someone else's religion (not equivalence this time, for a change). :D I dunno what people have been doing with their Windows to have such problems (that have turned into Common Wisdom of the Internets, apparently :)), but the last version to give me existential problems was the ole' 95, some 20 years ago. :)

P. S. Of course I can say I've been consciously avoiding trouble by switching to NT based systems as soon as possible (about when 4.0 was all the rage), but let's face it, using 98/ME is asking for trouble in itself. :) Nobody can be justified for doing this consciously.

#17 stoppingdown

stoppingdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

Perhaps we could discuss about the Windows / MacOS equivalence...

• Rover likes this

stoppingdown.net

#18 mike

mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:56 PM

Haha... I feel that I've been treading on someone else's religion (not equivalence this time, for a change). :D I dunno what people have been doing with their Windows to have such problems (that have turned into Common Wisdom of the Internets, apparently :)), but the last version to give me existential problems was the ole' 95, some 20 years ago. :)

P. S. Of course I can say I've been consciously avoiding trouble by switching to NT based systems as soon as possible (about when 4.0 was all the rage), but let's face it, using 98/ME is asking for trouble in itself. :) Nobody can be justified for doing this consciously.

Yes, I was just about to write a similar thing. I don't get the Apple religion? Every apple downfall is considered a feature! Every fix gets praised. In my office we definitely have to run security software on our macs, not just pc's.They're just as vulnerable. I'm convinced people just remember the old days of 20 years ago.

Conversely, people also often forget where Mac's were at 20 years ago. I used Mac at the company I was at. I spent 99% of the time on it running a Windows emulator to do any work. FWIW, I  spent more time with "issues" on my ex wife's mac than my w7 pc.

I think the truth is more is comes down to what you're used to. I have a droid and an iphone. I despise my iphone. The droid is just easier for me and takes less steps to use and do. But my first smart phone was a droid. Likewise, if you've been using a mac and go to window 10 I'm sure it seems harder.

I miss the good old days when you did graphics on an Amiga :wub:

#19 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:04 AM

And you think it is NOT a bad thing?

The Mac needs you to type your password with such changes, to make sure it is the owner and not someone else or indeed malware (it is easy for malware to just press the "yes" button, you know).

So your solution this High Sierra issue, where the root user password can be empty, you suggest an OS that never asks for any password? 

#20 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:06 AM

Yes, I was just about to write a similar thing. I don't get the Apple religion? Every apple downfall is considered a feature! Every fix gets praised. In my office we definitely have to run security software on our macs, not just pc's.They're just as vulnerable. I'm convinced people just remember the old days of 20 years ago.

Conversely, people also often forget where Mac's were at 20 years ago. I used Mac at the company I was at. I spent 99% of the time on it running a Windows emulator to do any work. FWIW, I  spent more time with "issues" on my ex wife's mac than my w7 pc.

I think the truth is more is comes down to what you're used to. I have a droid and an iphone. I despise my iphone. The droid is just easier for me and takes less steps to use and do. But my first smart phone was a droid. Likewise, if you've been using a mac and go to window 10 I'm sure it seems harder.

I miss the good old days when you did graphics on an Amiga :wub:

There still just really are no mac virusses. Malware for the mac is also very few and far between. I love when Windows users try to play the equivalence game. 

That they "have to run security software on your macs" just shows the bureaucracy and lack of knowledge of management/IT staff. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de