photozone.de

#2 obican

obican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

So this really is as sharp as Batis... Interesting. Certainly comes with a very attractive price tag too. Thanks for the review.

#3 you2

you2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:33 AM

So why would someone spend 2x on the batis ?

#4 Ron H

Ron H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:59 AM

Nice lens. This one has been tempting me for a while. Hard to justify, as I already have the Sony 90 macro. Like the weight of the 85mm more, but need the close up sharpness.

#5 MatjazO

MatjazO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

Indeed. Practically same resolution, less distortion and vignetting. As much as Batis is a nice lens, this one looks great one. Smaller, cheaper, better. What is not to like?
Honestly, I am somewhat baffled why there is no classic 24 mm lens their in lineup yet.

#6 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:11 AM

A 4,75 star lens for $600 and from Sony to boot... We live in strange and exciting times. :)

#7 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:59 AM

Great little lens, sensible size and price and looks tack sharp!

.....There has been so much fuss about the G masters, Sononians have become blinded to anything that isn't $2,000 a pop!

85mm seems to be the overall sweet spot focal length for sharp lenses wide open.....doing better than the 50mm standard focal........... even my old AF 85mm F1.8D does a decent job.

Very nice!

#8 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Not at all, I think the users there are as keen to save some cash as those in any other system... except probably Leica.

Now, it only remains to be seen what the 85/1.4 GM is like for performance... it'd be great fun if it turns out to be worse than the Sony 85/1.8. :) (not so fun for those who had bought the 1.4, 'fkorz)

Honestly I'd be only considering the Batis over the Sony if I had been using an IBIS-less Sony E camera... which incidentally I am. :)

#9 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,451 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

As mentioned, the Zeiss is sharper in close focus scenarios. Whether this is relevant to you ... well ...

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#10 Denethor

Denethor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the review! A couple of proof-reading stuff (sorry, Rover :) ):

1. Under Chromatic Aberrations title: "The Zeiss lens produces a low amount of lateral CA" -- this is not about Zeiss, right?

2. Under Bokeh: "The circular shape remains intact at f/2.8. An edgy aperture shape starts to kick in at f/2.8." I guess the bold should read "f/2.2"?

3. The main page title should be bold -- isn't that a new review? :)

As for the review itself: you proved once again what was circulating around for some time: an unusually (for Sony) affordable stellar lens. Glad I bought it :)

#11 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

A man may take a day off and just enjoy the reviews. :) And lately, PZ has been churning them out like it's going out of style - not that it's a bad thing, of course. :)

• JoJu likes this

#12 obican

obican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Shall we talk about that diffraction issue? I wonder what Sony is doing there with the aperture.

#13 MatjazO

MatjazO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

As mentioned, the Zeiss is sharper in close focus scenarios. Whether this is relevant to you ... well ...

Klaus, may I ask, what distance you mean by close focus, practically? Around min focus distance, or longer?

#14 youpii

youpii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationParis/France

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the review.

I'm thinking of selling my Batis 85 now  :rolleyes:

#15 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Shall we talk about that diffraction issue? I wonder what Sony is doing there with the aperture.

As mentioned both lenses, more so the Sony, had an overexposure tendency at medium/small aperture settings.

But again - is that overly relevant? How often are you shooting at f/11 with such a lens?

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#16 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:18 PM

Klaus, may I ask, what distance you mean by close focus, practically? Around min focus distance, or longer?

I didn't do any formal testing from where the quality decreases substantially.

While the images aren't meant for that the softness is quite apparent on the bokeh fringing images.

The Zeiss has a floating system similar to macro lenses so it's not surprising that it manages to keep the quality on a very high level.

Chief Editor
photozone.de

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de