#1 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,451 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

https://photorumors....ens/#more-93983

It doesn't seem to be a clone of the Canon 14mm this time.

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#2 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

Maybe it's a copy of the 14mm first version. Makes sense from the chronological perspective - that lens is from 1991 so the patent has probably just expired recently.

If so, I believe it would be the first time they copied a Canon L lens, although admittedly not the best one by far.

#3 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

No, it is not a copy of the EF 14mm f2.8 L USM, nor the Nikkor AF 14mm f2.8.

#4 toni-a

toni-a

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationLebanon

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

From the outside it does look like a Canon lens. Could it be their own design ?? In that case they are on the right track, I need an ultrawide prime this one could be very interesting

#5 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

No, it is not a copy of the EF 14mm f2.8 L USM, nor the Nikkor AF 14mm f2.8.

Hmm, I see now (was a little difficult to look up stuff from the Canon Museum using a cellphone). Maybe one day this thing will land in the testing lab. :)

Cosmetically though it's blatantly similar to the first version Canon lens.

#6 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,451 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

12 elements it seems. Haven't found a legacy 14mm with 12 elements so far.

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#7 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:18 AM

Well, if it's any good it can take the place of the old Sigma and Tamron 14mm f/2.8 lenses that both have been discontinued for at least a decade. Of course there's the Samyang but not everybody wants to go stone age...

#8 toni-a

toni-a

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationLebanon

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

APS-C seems forgotten, I would be more intrested in the same lens more compact and cheaper designed for APS-C why pay for the whole frame when you will just use the center.

I think it would make more sense for yongnuo to target entry level market rather than fight in the already highly competitive full frame world, if big names like Tokina are struggling I don't see how could they make a breakthrough.

in Canon world a fast ultrawide crop sensor prime is lacking they can do just that.

#9 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

Yougnuo lenses have a long way to go before they convince me......still I suppose you have to start somewhere.....maybe with a more complex design they can start putting things to rights,  but....would I buy one?

No! .... So far they haven't impressed optically or mechanically.....

and where the hell do you send them in the case of problems?    ...into the Asian void?

• toni-a likes this

#10 toni-a

toni-a

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationLebanon

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

Yougnuo lenses have a long way to go before they convince me......still I suppose you have to start somewhere.....maybe with a more complex design they can start putting things to rights,  but....would I buy one?

No! .... So far they haven't impressed optically or mechanically.....

and where the hell do you send them in the case of problems?    ...into the Asian void?

You're absolutely right, didn't think of that, my yongnuo flash worked fine for a year, then now  the tiny reflector and diffuser are loose, the flash is practically only usable as direct flash, try to find repairs: no spare parts available...so for a tiny problem, it can't be repaired

#11 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

Funny you should mention the reliability of Yongnuo flashes Toni,  I was going to buy a one of their better HSS flashguns,  but the more I researched the more I came across people who had problems.

One guy had bought five Yongnuo flashguns and a year later, only two still worked.

I have a selection of older flashes, a decent small Nikon SB 20 and a couple of others, these flashes used to last forever......

Now Yougnuo have brought us the "works for a year" flashgun....

You get a lot for your money, powerful, radio controlled etc......just not for long....as they stand the brand is just not investable!

#12 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

I read, Godox is an alternative to Yongnuo? You can have a couple of old Metz's from me, the oldest was produced 40 years ago. And has to of now, because "someone" did not follow the instruction to put in some batteries annually. Earlier times, it cost me half the salary for an apprentice and was my winning team although I still don't like flashguns. I was afraid it would freeze a motherboard if I use it on a digital cam.

But there are still a couple of younger items around, only 30 years or so and working They have adapters for dedicated systems. And will not die because of too much use  <_< . The point is, even these sophisticated flash-electronics will become outdated soon. Nikon's non-radio lighting system needs a refresh, and if they do it, I wonder if the flashguns of today will still work fully with new cameras.

Back to the lens. Why buying an outdated throw-away thing, when one gets good second hand ones for that price - or good enough, in the case of 14/2.8?

#13 obican

obican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Godox is quite alright, we can discuss them further in another thread in necessary.

#14 you2

you2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

I think they are releasing it for all major cameras (well fuji for sure; and perhaps nikon and micro 4/3)? Never heard of them - maybe that is a good thing ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de