#1 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,545 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:50 AM

https://photorumors....era/#more-95165

Impressive ... albeit quite heavy it seems.

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#2 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:51 AM

Also confirmed:

XF200mmF2 R LM OIS WR
XF8-16mmF 2.8 R WR

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#3 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

More importantly, they now offer Fuji X-mount for their Fujinon Cine lenses, they put IBIS in the shrunk GFX body which got some improvements.

To mention the bigger buttons and the more failsafe AF-ON switch might sound ridiculous but through Fuji I learnt about Sugru - and one should not need to treat a new camera with plasticine just because their designers have fingers like kids.

However. As nice bigger buttons and top display might be, the usability remains contradictive.

#4 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Yes, the buttons are/were an issue - at least on the X-T1. Other than that I never had any usability problems that I found really disturbing. Sony is somewhat worse than Fuji in this respect (in my view).

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#5 goran h

goran h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

I also think new firmware 2.00 for Fujifilm X-T20 is nice.  

#6 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

About the size of my 6D, indeed quite chunky for APS-C mirrorless. Yay for the insight of Fuji? (nicer ergonomics)

#7 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yes, the buttons are/were an issue - at least on the X-T1. Other than that I never had any usability problems that I found really disturbing. Sony is somewhat worse than Fuji in this respect (in my view).

The buttons on X-T2 were no bit better.

My complaints about usability (for X-T2, I haven't seen the menu of the X-H1) are

• the lack of banks for saving user-settings. At this price-tag it's a shame.
  • To me it would be helpful to activate the electronic level just with a Fn-button. Totally easy on Nikon, totally impossible for Fuji, not even for the quick menu.
  • The contradiction of having a front dial, but cannot use it to set aperture on a heavy lens with electronic aperture like 100-400.
  • The contradictive use of a joystick and 4-way buttons. I just checked, I can use the joystick as well to navigate the menus. So, why through in 4 buttons but can not apply all functions on them?
  • The selector for AF is hard to use, most of the time it jumps from S to M, but I want C (in the middle). Too soft, too fiddly, too tiny - and the new flagship comes with the same crap switch
  • The manual focus mode. Clutched lenses will autofocus although the switch is set to M. That's ridiculous, especially in, say, astrophotography. When I want to manual focus, I don't need a camera with own ideas about! It doesn't matter if I switched "AF + MF" OFF or ON.
  • Menu settings "drive mode": Here I can set up how much fps I want. AND the "advanced filter setting" WTF? What has fps to do with soft filter, miniature, elective color?
  • To me it appears the mechanical designers are not talking to then software engineers. Some things you can do in three different ways, others in one which is highly complicated.

#8 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

I have to admit that my memories of the 100-400 are fading but there's a switch which you can use to select "A" or manual mode. In manual mode you can use the aperture ring (has no aperture number markings). In A mode you have to use the front dial on the camera.

No?

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#9 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

No.  :(

But you're describing my dream lens. However, Fuji is on it's way. I just need to grab in deeper pocket and get some GFX lenses. Oh, an another camera body. The GFX system has an A and a C position. The latter you were referring to it's function.

But honestly, I don't see a reason not to make a firmware update which lets the owner choose wether A should be aperture control by front-dial or be automatic. Honestly there's not much use of shutter priority on that lens - ISO automatic covers a wider range. Would be different if it would be 1-2 stops faster.

Maybe they could that combine with pushing the front-dial in - that function is also in the overkill list these days, like in "no real use for it".

#10 obican

obican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Actually Klaus is right, you can use the front dial if the aperture dial of the lens is set to A.

#11 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

Not on my lens, obican. I tried.

If you know better, I'd be happy to know which menu setting needs to be changed.

edit: just checked a third time, with the 18-55/2.8-4 (which has the same concept as the 100-400 in terms of aperture ring). If I set 

• Aperture to A
  • Shutter dial on top to A
  • use a low ISO number
  • and change in the menu the rear dial with the front dial function

Then - and only then - the aperture changes because the camera is now in program automatic and the aperture is depending on shutter speed - which I can select by the front dial. So the aperture only follows the shutter speed - I could not change the aperture independently! But program automatic and value shift is not what I'm looking for.

As I said, if you know a secret way, please feel free to share.

#12 you2

you2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

So basically an x-t2 with ibis and a ton of extra weight.

#13 obican

obican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

Not on my lens, obican. I tried.

If you know better, I'd be happy to know which menu setting needs to be changed.

edit: just checked a third time, with the 18-55/2.8-4 (which has the same concept as the 100-400 in terms of aperture ring). If I set 

• Aperture to A
  • Shutter dial on top to A
  • use a low ISO number
  • and change in the menu the rear dial with the front dial function

Then - and only then - the aperture changes because the camera is now in program automatic and the aperture is depending on shutter speed - which I can select by the front dial. So the aperture only follows the shutter speed - I could not change the aperture independently! But program automatic and value shift is not what I'm looking for.

As I said, if you know a secret way, please feel free to share.

You have an X-T2 right? I'll drop by to the Fuji store tomorrow and try to remember how to do that. Pretty sure that was possible with X-T1.

Edit: I think I was thinking of changing the shutter speed via dials and not the aperture. Might be my bad.

Edit 2: Nope the manual says you should be able to use front dial to adjust the aperture. Page 274 (294 on the pdf). Might be something to do with another setting. Check if the menu item APERTURE SETTING is set to AUTO+MANUAL.

#14 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

Yes. This dial comes into play with the cheap XC lenses which have no aperture ring at all.

It remains useless for lenses with aperture ring. The manual does say in it's chapter heading " Lenses with No Aperture Rings"  ;) But thank you for referring tot he German manual. In the English version it's on page 286 (PDF and print) The illustration is misleading. Heading says "without aperture rings" illustration shows a lens with aperture ring. 

And the chapter before is "Lenses with Aperture Rings". Here the same sentence claims it is possible to set the lens' aperture with front dial - but in the menu of my X-T2 that setting is grey. I tried 3 lenses...

Oh, and You2: The X-H1 is basically a shrunk GFX50, just without the movable EVF, but added IBIS.

#15 obican

obican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

Have you checked the other one is set to AUTO+MANUAL? I remember something something overrides something something somewhere somehow.

And people say Sony have bad menus btw ;)

#16 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

Which "other one"? I cannot set a menu topic which is greyed out.

I think the menu topic will become accessible when a lens without aperture ring is mounted. But forgive me, I will not bring more money into Fujis' pockets as long as they fill in tons of menus into the main topic with the wrench.. Other menus are short, translated badly, but the wrench contains everything the just could not make ups their mind for what it might be good for.

I don't want to imagine how they would realize banks or user settings, brrr.

#17 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

That 8-16 is going to be an epic lens for sure. Looks like a reason in itself to get on the Fuji bandwagon.

#18 obican

obican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

That 8-16 is going to be an epic lens for sure. Looks like a reason in itself to get on the Fuji bandwagon.

Haven't seen the Fuji lens yet but I'm guessing Sony 12-24/4 is going to disagree with what you've just said :D

• JoJu likes this

#19 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

I see your point but I can just as well see that some people may not be willing to get on the FF mirrorless (= Sony) bandwagon, because of the quirks this system has, and the overall commitment to mostly big, heavy and expensive - for the general mirrorless market, anyway - lenses. :)

I am a fairweather Sony user, as there's a beater NEX in my household, but I'm not sure whether the mirrorless expansion - if I attempt one - would be going in the Sony direction. :)

#20 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:06 AM

I was looking a bit more closely to the pictures (in 3 days the official announcement should happen, so there's a lot of dancing round the future tellers campfires at Fujirumours...  :rolleyes: ).

What I do like are the concentric rings which select drive and exposure mode. Contrary to the flimsy plastic rings of the X-T2, these ones benefitted of the bigger size. The X-H1 definitely tries to make a bit more of a professional impression. They also say the magnesium body is thicker, yet the vertical grip not more expensive (another "well done, Fuji").

The X-Pro2 is also bigger than the X-T2, so the size of an "only APS-C" camera to me is very acceptable. Fuji made some more steps towards a professional system, but as long as there are no banks or user settings, I stay watching and waiting for the real thing. Also, as long as there are no serious tele primes.  ^_^

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de