Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax Full Frame; first glimpse
Quote:The 15-30 is a "Pentax"-labelled Tamron (except the WR-part? Is the Tamron originally weather-resistant?) Doesn't have to be a bad thing. What Leica can do with brushed up Panasonics and Hasselblad with Sonys, Ricoh can also do. I just don't think, servicewise it's a cool idea. One lens to Pentax, the other to Tamron.

USB 2.0 is a joke, a pretty bad one, too. And the rest are nice specs. Just: who cares about another FF DSLR?
"The 15-30 VC has a level of moisture sealing including a lens mount gasket. Tamron states "Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent moisture from penetrating the lens." <-- to quote the TDP review.

Who cares about what speed the USB is? Just pop out the card and use the reader (especially since every laptop created in the last 10 years comes with a SD reader of some kind). I guess it makes a difference only if you're doing a lot of tethered shooting. And readers can be upgraded to whatever fastest standard is out at the moment.
In combination with 36MP and the DNG RAW files (but maybe they use another proprietary file format) it will be huge files. You're right, I see slow download for thethered shooting - but since not many tethered apps support Pentax (CamRanger, HeliconDocus, PhaseOne are mostly CaNikon weighted) it doesn't matter much. Cool is the dual slot.

And the rest? Anything what makes this a better choice than any other FF? Besides the genius LCD? It's a very limited system, if one calls a body and two lenses already "system".

Most desktops don't come with a card reader as standard. Plus it is handy to just plug a cable in and get stuff off without yet another device to have around. Not fitting USB3 as standard doesn't make a lot of sense. Not a big deal perhaps, but still a sign.

I guess those most interested in this will be those who stuck with Pentax throughout. Doubt they'll find many switchers from other systems.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Well... the system is already expanding, and at the very least it'll have the f/2.8 zoom trio and the 100-400 class lens (a 150-450 in this case). But the (modern) primes are of course nonexistent, apart from the 55/1.4 which is a "secretly FF" lens. So it's the lens release speed that's going to make or break this system; it cannot ride forever on the past glory of the three "Limited" lenses (31, 43, 77) that are, by now, pretty dated mechanically.

I'm not in the least interested as I'm well set with the Canon system but the body looks pretty innovative and with very little obvious shortcomings. Someone who would be starting from scratch might take a look at it - but again, it's the lenses that become the deciding factor. Sony has learned this lesson in a painful way, I think; we'll see if Pentax does the same.

So it's now announced. There is also a list of DA lenses that are compatable here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-1 

Also the top control dials are innovative, one selected the function of the other. 

Quote:Well... the system is already expanding, and at the very least it'll have the f/2.8 zoom trio and the 100-400 class lens (a 150-450 in this case). But the (modern) primes are of course nonexistent, apart from the 55/1.4 which is a "secretly FF" lens. So it's the lens release speed that's going to make or break this system; it cannot ride forever on the past glory of the three "Limited" lenses (31, 43, 77) that are, by now, pretty dated mechanically.

I'm not in the least interested as I'm well set with the Canon system but the body looks pretty innovative and with very little obvious shortcomings. Someone who would be starting from scratch might take a look at it - but again, it's the lenses that become the deciding factor. Sony has learned this lesson in a painful way, I think; we'll see if Pentax does the same.

In prime land the following are FF, 31/1.8, 35/2.4, 35/2, 43/1.9, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 50/2.8 (macro), 55/1.4, 77/1.8, 100/2.8 (macro), 200/2.8, 300/4, 560/5.6 - reports are that the 40/2.8 and 70/2.4 will also cover frame.
Also the old AF lenses that are not sold anymore. And older MF lenses.

And for the more adventurous Pentaxians, you can put Nikon MF lenses on it (with close focus restrictions):

http://adaptist.weebly.com/pentax-k-mult...rsion.html

I can recommend the Nikkor-S•C and "K" 55mm f1.2, Nikkor-H•C and "K" 85mm f1.8, Nikkor 85mm f1.4 Ai/Ai-S, 135mm f2 Ai-S, 35mm f1.4 Ai/Ai-S, 105mm f2.5 pre-Ai/Ai/Ai-S, Noct 58mm f1.2 Ai-S (expensive), 28mm f1.4 Ai-S (expensive).

Quote:But the (modern) primes are of course nonexistent, apart from the 55/1.4 which is a "secretly FF" lens.

Quote:In prime land the following are FF, 31/1.8, 35/2.4, 35/2, 43/1.9, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 50/2.8 (macro), 55/1.4
Strangely, the dpreview article mentions 55/1.4 compatibility as "stopped-down" only, and not "fully functional". Sad I wonder what that means exactly. I was thinking about buying that lens, but only if it'll work on FF body with no issues. If it's not usable wide-open on K1, then it's not worth it (it's not exactly cheap for what it is, most 50/1.4 from other companies are cheaper).
Stopped down means (too) heavy vignetting wide open.

Quote:Stopped down means (too) heavy vignetting wide open.
If it's worse that the average fast prime on FF (3.5-4.5 stops), then sure, but 4 stops are nothing out of ordinary. If the vignetting gets better by stopping down, then fine - with some "left-field" lenses, it actually becomes worse as you stop down - say, with Sigma 30/1.4 on APS-H which is usable till about f/5, and then it turns ugly.

Quote:<div>
In prime land the following are FF, 31/1.8, 35/2.4, 35/2, 43/1.9, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 50/2.8 (macro), 55/1.4, 77/1.8, 100/2.8 (macro), 200/2.8, 300/4, 560/5.6 - reports are that the 40/2.8 and 70/2.4 will also cover frame.
</div>
I forgot about the 200/2.8, 300/4 and 560/5.6 - these do count as "modern" primes; the others are screw driven and therefore probably due for replacement anyway. I hope for the Pentaxians' sake that Sigma and Tamron get around to introducing some of their fresh stuff for the K mount.

Hey, they can rebadge the 35/1.8 and call it a "35/2 replacement". Actually, if they did this to the 15-30 and 24-70, nothing's keeping them from doing this again.