Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP: Canon 6D or Nikon D600... Which to buy?
Quote:The 6D you can operate with one hand while shooting (right side). The D600 you have to operate with both hands, not very convenient especially with a big lens which requires you to support the lens with the left hand. 
I find you're replacing one statement "better ergonomics" with another "operating with one hand", but I don't get it - Canon has also one function wheel on the left side. And I'm no big fan of one-hand shooting (as Kai Wong is, i.e.) so I can't see the big advantage. But I agree with Markus, one should just try it and ergonomics is as well also an individual thing. I just see no buttons on the left side which I regularly need in my kind of photographing. And with huge lenses one hand shooting? Anyway, I asked, thank you for replying.

Quote:Also, the menu from the Canon is easier to navigate, and the live view implementation is much more user friendly. There are other issues with the D600 operation too, and of course some quibbles with the 6D too.

The touch screen implementation with the Canon 700D gets universal praise, actually. And you can choose not to use it, and just use the other controls. 

I was only referring to 70D and would be happy if Nikon designers would also dare to do a good job with swivel touchscreens, but I realize some of the Nikonians would not like 'em, fearing problems like "I'd rip it away", "not weather proof" (but it is as good as any other prosumer cam), "I'm not shooting LV" and real progressive other opinions like "who needs touchscreens". So I guess I wait without hope...

Quote:The 5D mk III does NOT have the banding one could see with the 5D mk II.

Explain to me how you go about using 14 stops DR, then. And high DR just has flat contrast, no way around it. You can of course tone map high DR into a low DR scale, but that always shows as fake.
Not logical. Just because there are these days not much devices to playback high DR full range, it's stupid to talk about flat contrast. And talking about fakes - your B/W interpretations are then as well a fake. Everything you do in postprocess - all fake and we're doing it all the time.

Quote:You have those reserves with Canon cameras too. It is a misconception that one does not. Normal tonal curves show 6 to 8 stop DR. You can restore highlights just fine with a 6D (or 5D mk III), as you can do some shadow compensation.

<p style="margin-left:0px;">So, while the Canon already shows a white sky, the Nikon will show still some structures, given the same conditions. I consider that as good, but if you think, each photo using more than 8 stops is fake or flat contrast, well, fine.

Quote:The 6D actually catches the D600 and passes it at ISO 3200. Not a biggie, as the D600 is no high ISO slouch either, but the 6D matches it well.

There are much better sources around.

It would have been more convincing, not only to write another statement but also to put a link into the post. It's always easy to say, sources are unreliable or of bad reputation if their conclusions dare to be different from the desired ones.

Anyway, I'm not interested in another Canon vs Nikon debate and I'm also no Nikon fanboy, I just like the touch and output of Nikons better than the ones from Canon. Which doesn't mean I would give the G11 away for some Nikon. Even Canon pictures can be nicely tuned  Rolleyes

Messages In This Thread
HELP: Canon 6D or Nikon D600... Which to buy? - by Hassiman - 08-12-2013, 10:25 PM
HELP: Canon 6D or Nikon D600... Which to buy? - by Sylvain - 08-13-2013, 03:05 PM
HELP: Canon 6D or Nikon D600... Which to buy? - by Hassiman - 08-16-2013, 10:08 PM
HELP: Canon 6D or Nikon D600... Which to buy? - by JJ_SO - 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM