Poll: Would you buy a Contax N lens (24-85 in this case) now?
Yes
No
IDK, just wanna see the results
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blast from the past: Contax N 24-85 for sale locally
(02-14-2024, 08:56 AM)toni-a Wrote: A blast from the past hitting on me too.... I found Sigma 12-24f4.5-5.6 listed for less than the cost of tonight Valentine dinner with my wife.....
Should I get bit especially I already have the Tokina 16-28f2.8?
This lens was my dream to get in 2005 when I used to use 300D, couldn't afford this one so I had to setlle on Sigma 14mmf2.8 I found used

It depends on how acceptable you'll find the smearing of details in the corners and edges, light fall-off, and overall sharpness. I got one in 2009, from the only shop which had it in stock at the time, 200 km away from my home town. After trying it out, I rushed back as fast as I could, and exchanged it for a Nikon 14-24 F/2.8, with adapter, for my Canon 5D Mk II.

.jpg   2009_08_21_5DII_iso_400s.jpg (Size: 136.29 KB / Downloads: 3)
Not the best of images, but it was for testing only, and with the large contrast, and detail in the foreground, it was fine for that.

.jpg   smearing.jpg (Size: 145.48 KB / Downloads: 3)

The crop from the lower left corner shows the problem in more detail.
Look at how detail is lost in the lower parts of the picture due to smearing.

If you can live with that, by all means, do get it. Personally I could not.

BTW, I replaced the Nikon with a TS-E 17 eventually, and in addition I got a Samyang 10 mm F/3.5 XP Premium, and I still own and use both. The 10 mm even has become quite a big favourite, as it is very good at F/8, corner to corner, and I just love UWA.

HTH, kindest regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blast from the past: Contax N 24-85 for sale locally - by wim - 02-14-2024, 11:25 AM