Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next lens review: Nikon AF-S 24mm f/1.8 G ED (FX)
Hmmm...

Quote:At this price point, however, it competes with Sigma's 24mm f/1.4 Art lens, which does not offer the same level of sharpness, but even more creative potential with its faster f/1.4 aperture

The Sigma is a tiny bit better in center and worse off center - but to say in general, the Sigma has not the same level of sharpness to me appears incorrect. Wide open both are the same and at f/2.0 the Sigma is better in center (3795 vs 3491 lw). Also, the Sigma is cheaper  :blink: . Interesting

And again - if you find the time, do some AF tests at close range if the Nikkor hits the spot wide open - back or front focus is for these kind of shots a source of disappointment. With the Sigma dock, these problems do not disappear entirely as PDAF is kind of guess work, but I got more keepers. But then, to be honest: If I use one of the new Nikons with (sort of) decent LV, that's a workaround as well.

And the Nikkor has a rubber gasket which in some situations can be helpful.

Anyway, I find it tough to decide between the Sigma and the Nikkor f/1.8, but easy to decide wether you go for the Nikkor f/1.4 or that one in your latest test. The f/1.8 line once again left the f/1.4 behind in terms of value for money. The only thing the f/1.4 line (at least the 24, 35 and 85) are the magnesium bodies which can take a real tough bump.

Messages In This Thread
Next lens review: Nikon AF-S 24mm f/1.8 G ED (FX) - by JJ_SO - 11-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Next lens review: Nikon AF-S 24mm f/1.8 G ED (FX) - by davidmanze - 11-24-2017, 11:09 AM