Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax Full Frame; first glimpse
Quote:Strangely, the dpreview article mentions 55/1.4 compatibility as "stopped-down" only, and not "fully functional". Sad I wonder what that means exactly. I was thinking about buying that lens, but only if it'll work on FF body with no issues. If it's not usable wide-open on K1, then it's not worth it (it's not exactly cheap for what it is, most 50/1.4 from other companies are cheaper).
Guess you can only check this on the spot and see if the level of vignetting is tolerable for you. Then again, maybe a Sigma 50/1.4 (non-A) is a better all around option, and surely it's a lot cheaper (the Pentax 55 was always on the expensive side). As far as I can remember, the Sigma was available in the K mount.

Quote:In combination with 36MP and the DNG RAW files (but maybe they use another proprietary file format) it will be huge files. You're right, I see slow download for thethered shooting - but since not many tethered apps support Pentax (CamRanger, HeliconDocus, PhaseOne are mostly CaNikon weighted) it doesn't matter much. Cool is the dual slot.

And the rest? Anything what makes this a better choice than any other FF? Besides the genius LCD? It's a very limited system, if one calls a body and two lenses already "system".
There are a lot more than "two lenses", more like 50, although I am counting manual focus lenses.  Just autofocus is a bit over two dozen, including the 200/300/560 that they say are fully functional with a full frame.

As for unique features, among them (for a full frame) is the Astrotracer, Composition Adjustment and Pixel Shift.
Although the 560 is a very silly lens (old fashioned design with so-so IQ). 

What the camera needs is a few really good portrait lenses, a normal, a few wide angle primes and the Pentamron 15-30mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 zooms. Then there is a base to build on.

And Sigma to offer lenses with the Pentax mount?

I just hope that finally there is a Pentax which has good AF accuracy/tracking.

Quote:Although the 560 is a very silly lens (old fashioned design with so-so IQ). 

What the camera needs is a few really good portrait lenses, a normal, a few wide angle primes and the Pentamron 15-30mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 zooms. Then there is a base to build on.

And Sigma to offer lenses with the Pentax mount?

I just hope that finally there is a Pentax which has good AF accuracy/tracking.
Portrait lenses? See if Tamron is about to launch one, and then it may be "Penta-sized" in a very short order, a la the 15-30. Smile

It's a little bit discouraging that Pentax is already relying on rebranding for precisely half of their new lens announcements though. This from a maker that is supposedly enticing users by a unique lens expertise; otherwise why bother - you can just use a Canon / Nikon body and the same Tamron designs, but also with access to the vast trove of other OEM and third-party lenses.
Quote:Guess you can only check this on the spot and see if the level of vignetting is tolerable for you. Then again, maybe a Sigma 50/1.4 (non-A) is a better all around option, and surely it's a lot cheaper (the Pentax 55 was always on the expensive side). As far as I can remember, the Sigma was available in the K mount.
Well, for me Pentax is all about weather sealing: I often walk/cycle under rain/snow for hours, and just hate having to constantly cover the camera/lens with something (or having to put it in and out of the bag every time there's a photographic opportunity). There's not that many weather-sealed normal fast primes out there. That's why I am (was?) interested in the 55/1.4. Non-sealed K-mount lenses are of no interest for me, otherwise I'd go with something a lot cheaper (like the Sigma you suggested).
I think the Sony (Zeiss) ZA 50/1.4 is weather sealed as well.

Ditto the Tamron 45/1.8 (not a 50 but pretty darn close).

Not sure about the Canon 50/1.2 L (but it and the ZA are more expensive than the Pentax and the Tamron still, I have to concede that).

Quote:....

As for unique features, among them (for a full frame) is the Astrotracer, Composition Adjustment and Pixel Shift.

So, it's all about shaking the sensor around, yes? I'm sure it's only me, I just don't recall the last time I missed the uncertainty of "what is this sensor doing while I think I switched every movement of it?" And why I never missed that open answer to the question "I DID switch sensor movement OFF, didn't I?", I'm sure one can do anything with the moving sensor feature, cutting jigsaw-puzzles, getting the coffee milk  stirred and with some accessories share some satisfying erotic encounters - but taking good pictures?

K-m and K-x were already doing sensor mumbo-jambo and I never got a decent picture without some flaw out of the combination Tamron 17-50/2.8 wide open and one of the Pentaxes. The pictures I liked were nearly all catched with a Sigma lens. Therefore I do have some slight doubts. My Pentaxes never made a picture without front- or back focus - so, if they can't get the AF straight, how do they want to move a sensor for exactly one pixel in any direction?

As well the moveable screen: Technically an interesting solution, but not as versatile as an articulated 180° × 270° LCD like a lot of Canons offer, Olympus and Nikon's 5xxx series. So, what's the point?

Personally I like the compact design if it, it reminds very much on a small scale medium format, as deep as this body is. The price is also pretty tempting giving what you pay other producers to get hands on a 36 MP sensor - but as usual, you get what you pay for.

Quote:Well, Dave, the question is, will you give up your Nikon to go back to Pentax? Anybody willing to pay for Pentax FF? I mean, not the usual "if they offer this or that, I'll jump the boat!" - no "ifs" please, just, "hell yes, I've been waiting for Pentax all the last ten years, now I already preordered, even

1. if the lens choice is not that big and third party lenses are dated or unavailable
  2. if all other accessoires are made for Canon or Nikon or from Sony
  3. if all RAW converters will take a little while to go Pentax - or I decide to use this fat DNG file format which usually wastes more disk space than anything else around except TIF
  4. if it remains questionable into which future we're steering: 60 year old mirror concept or mirrorless right now?"
Pentax once had gorgeous offerings for Professionals, the whole LX system was sort of on par with a Nikon F3 or better - but not many were interested. I don't know about the market share and for sure I'm not always happy with Nikon's decisions. But if it comes to Pentax, I'm done. Made my experiences and sold the whole stuff, never looked back. The screen is very innobative IMO - but that's just one detail. At least and after decades, articulated screen made it into a Nikon Pro DX, so it IS cool and usefull. But you're too late, Pentax. Again.
 To answer your first question........No...simply the 4.4 Fps frame rate is pretty pedestrian and no good for nature........and I really don't need 36 Mps.......I like Pentax and the new K1 promises to be a great resolution camera......not to forget the pixel shifting mode which I think will equal medium format quality.....so keep your eyes out for the tests when they start to come in. 

The 33 point AF.......well we will have to see..........up against the D750.......Hmmm...I don't think so!

1. Going Nikon is just a breath of fresh air for lenses, I wouldn't want to go back to the get what you given Pentax range with slow SDM motors and their problems, screw-drive is pretty snappy however. The best of the old FA* lenses have always held their price well, but now they will as expensive as the new Pentax/Tamrons. I just hope that Sigma panda a little to the PK mount to augment what is at the moment a pretty meager FF range. A camera system is as much about lenses as bodies.

The irony to that is my Pentacon is ready for Pentax and I'm modding it for Nikon!

2 Accessories are less of a problem.

3. RAW files with Pentax are all the same PEF/DNG. not like Nikon's.

4. I still think that DSLRs will still be the main stay of pro and prosumer cameras for the foreseeable future. (well certainly for me)

I hope Pentax do well with the K1 but it doesn't look like it will attract Canikonites.... DPreview's Pentax forum is on fire at the moment and it's good to see Pentaxians getting their crack of the whip for once! 

All in all....Good luck Pentax and well done to have got the K1 to market!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

The amount of AF points never should be a deciding factor... 33 is more than enough. The question is, how capable is the AF system behind the sensor? Canon has the lead there, it will be interesting to see is this Pentax has made steps in the right direction there.

Of course, lenses play a big part there too, and that is certainly a field where Pentax has a lot of work to do.

In addition to what BC said above, I would rate the absolute quantity of the AF points as less important than their spread across the frame. Some of the recent full frame Nikons have a boatload of AF points, but what's the point (pardon the pun) if they're all closely clustered in the center? And it's not some academic observation: I often run into a situation where my intended target is outside the focusing grid. Even on my 1D Mark IV that's sometimes the case. I can focus and recompose, of course - and that's what I do - but it's not very convenient.

33 is plenty if the frame is well populated.

By the way, I think we've been missing a big question to ask: Klaus, are you going to start reviewing Pentax full frame fare? Smile