Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next lens review: Zeiss APO Sonnar T* 135mm f/2.0 ZF.2 (FX)
A marvel. A pity it doesn't have AF Wink

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/10...szf13520ff

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

And a marvel with AF would look like this:

[Image: i-cNDZDZR-XL.jpg]

Original size

I know, different situations and mine was taken at ISO 64 and a bit more MP - but I don't see much of a difference. However, I haven't looked deep into it and if it comes to bokeh fringing, the Zeiss might be better. But altogether: Keep your Zeiss, I'll stick with Sigma.  Tongue  Big Grin

I was just looking at the price of the Apo Sonnar. Some dealers offer instead the Milvus 135/2 and put in brackets (App-Sonnar). Are the lenses, except the stylish, but ugly finish of the Milvus, identical?

Yes, they are the same optics.

Thanks. Now I know what the new design costs...  Big Grin

Why is the vignetting score based off of the camera's jpg instead of the raw file ?

Maybe Marcus will repeat the test with the sigma for comparison. It was a 5* lens on the canon test.

Quote:And a marvel with AF would look like this:

[Image: i-cNDZDZR-XL.jpg]

Original size

I know, different situations and mine was take at ISO 64 and a bit more MP - but I don't see much of a difference. However, I haven't looked deep into it and if it comes to bokeh fringing, the Zeiss might be better. But altogether: Keep your Zeiss, I'll stick with Sigma.  Tongue  Big Grin
I think that the software takes JPEGs, and how do you create JPEGs from different cameras with exactly the same tonal curve? Even using the same RAW converter does not give the same tonal curves.

Quote:I was just looking at the price of the Apo Sonnar. Some dealers offer instead the Milvus 135/2 and put in brackets (App-Sonnar). Are the lenses, except the stylish, but ugly finish of the Milvus, identical?
Yes, they are identical... it's actually mentioned in the intro of the review Wink

The upgrade price you pay is not only for the new design (which I personally don't like, if it was only about the design, I'd prefer a ZF over a Milvus any time), but also weather sealing.

Quote:Maybe Marcus will repeat the test with the sigma for comparison. It was a 5* lens on the canon test.
Depends on whether I can get my hand on one soon Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Why is the vignetting score based off of the camera's jpg instead of the raw file ?
It's simply less work. You need to set a baseline at some point and use it as a reference point for the system. In terms of vignetting, we decided on using the standard JPGs a camera produces, since they can just bet fed into Imatest without any further work.

RAWs would need to be converted to JPGs first, with a defined set of parameters to have comparable results. That's actually the same thing a camera does already, so why invest more work than necessary.
Editor
opticallimits.com