• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favourite feature of the D850?
Long time no see PZ people! or should i say OL people Wink

So... What's your favourite features or functions of the D850? 

I'm not somebody who jumps on every new camera, I had my last one for 10 years and its its still a great camera! But..

I just got mine and I think my total favourite feature is the ability to block out the viewfinder to the different aspect ratios and even crop into or dx mode!

This is huge for wildlife and sports. Its also great if you have an assignment that requires a certain aspect ratio. I used to struggle to compose in 8x10, or 1:1, now its a breeze. I can also crop on camera anytime I feel I don't need the full 46mp. Wonderful!

Commercial photography: 
http://duann.ca , Wildlife Nature, Macro: 
http://paulduann.com/blog

I like

1. the touch display
  2. the silent shutter
  3. the best Nikon AF I have used so far
  4. the focus stacking option
  5. the framing in different ratios (although I haven't tested them fully, in the past they were a problem fopr Capture One)

After a few more days of shooting, another thing not so much a feature but a benefit of the sensor, is the lack of noise when shot and exposed properly at ISO64.

I have always been used to certain a lvl or noise off of a sensor.  It just shows up as some grain over the image when zoomed 1:1. 

When shot "proper" at ISO 64 it's almost completely of noise, and to my eye its gone, all I see is totally clean! 

Its so clean that it looks like the noise/grain has been blurred away, but with keeping every bit of detail at the same time! Very nice.

I can't wait to get it into the studio!!

I haven tried focus stacking yet, but i'll love it for my macro I'm sure.

Commercial photography: 

Just a side note, the lowest ISO isn't always the cleanest noise wise, the best is usually the base ISO, on my 5D the lowest noise is at ISO 100, ISO 50 is an expansion it's shooting at ISO 100 then dialing exposure minus one.

FWIW on my 30D I used extensively the best noise performance was at ISO 160, although it had ISO 100 and 130
ISO 64 is base ISO on a D850  Wink The lowest ISO would be ISO 32

And I doubt very much that you would see a difference of noise between 64 and 100 ISO, but please split any hair you can't see as a full one  ^_^

Quote:ISO 64 is base ISO on a D850 Wink The lowest ISO would be ISO 32

And I doubt very much that you would see a difference of noise between 64 and 100 ISO, but please split any hair you can't see as a full one ^_^
I don't even see a house difference between ISO 100and 200 however if you need to add +2 or 3 f stops then difference is relevant

I would have loved to have ISO 64

Kodak SLR had the lowest ISO of an SLR made, 12 or 6 I think, too bad manufacturers are only occupied with clean high ISO leaving the job to ND filters
Don't be ridiculous. You never took a photo at ISO 6, I'm very sure and I'm also very sure there was no base ISO 6 at all. If you think else, check it up and deliver a proof. And even if there was an ISO 6 camera - at Kodak times the noise was worse than today's ISO 64. This kind of theoretical blurb without any real use or need in everyday practice is a bit upsetting, I have to say.

And SLR is a single lens reflex - they don't have base ISO as they are film cameras. Also, in the beginning of digital cameras not each camera had a finder or an LCD. Often they had to be connected to a PC / Mac and shot exclusively tethered, at a whopping 1 MP, sometimes less.

Quote:Just a side note, the lowest ISO isn't always the cleanest noise wise, the best is usually the base ISO, on my 5D the lowest noise is at ISO 100, ISO 50 is an expansion it's shooting at ISO 100 then dialing exposure minus one.

FWIW on my 30D I used extensively the best noise performance was at ISO 160, although it had ISO 100 and 130

I hear that about Cannons. I'm a nikon guy, and its simply the lowest noise I've ever seen! It reminds me of the medium format from school, but the colour noise is even better than the older ccd on the medium format!.. I'll post a sample when I get a minute.

I was reading a bit and I guess you get 2/3 more light squeezed into the base 64ISO vs ISO100, so you get a much cleaner image vs100 on D810 and D850. I haven't really compared at ISO100 so I don't know how they look yet. I guess thats why they looked so clean!

from DPreview:

"One of the D810's most significant features was its ability to shoot at ISO 64. There are two main factors that influence the Raw (saturation-based) ISO rating: efficiency and full-well capacity. Higher efficiency (a higher proportion of photons being registered) would push base ISO upwards, while an increased full-well capacity (capacity for electronic charge) pushes it down.

<p style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:'Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">The D810 offered a lower ISO by increasing its full well capacity (or, at least, finding a way to squeeze a bit more out of it). This meant it was able to capture just as much of the light it was exposed to as the D800 but could tolerate more light before it started to clip. This meant 
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">it could be given greater exposure
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">, which improves the signal-to-noise ratio and gives cleaner tones across the image: an improvement often interpreted as improved tonality.</span></span>

<p style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:'Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">This ability to tolerate an extra 2/3EV exposure is why we say that the D810 is able to compete with the latest batch of 
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">medium format cameras
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">, whose 44 x 33mm sensors would capture 2/3EV more light at the same F-number and shutter speed."</span></span>
Commercial photography: 

:wub:  I would love to have one :wub:  :wub: ...

....but it needs the grip for me at least so....too expensive for me Sad

.....then the better lenses  :blink:

...however, there will be grey market soon no doubt......like Yippee!!    Tongue  Big Grin    :lol:   B)

I wonder how much they will be?  2300-2500 euros.......pity my organs aren't unsellable!    Sad                                

wow..I hit the emoticon buffer!                     

What can you do in birding you can't do with your D500?

• 1(current)
  • Next