Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus Lens Roadmap 2014
To keep track ... 

Doesn't seem to be anything new; vaguely I thought they were going to announce an update on 30th of Aug (or maybe that is some other companies ...)

They seem to go for a 9mm f/1.8 Pro pancake as well.

THAT would be something. 

I never understood why ultra-wide pancakes are so seldom. Only Voigtlander has one.

Hmm shame it's going to be f/1.8 and $900 for the 9mm.

So they have:

9mm f/8 at $100

9mm f/1.8 at $900

If only they would make something in the middle; 9mm f/4 for <$400 that was of good optical quality and super compact....

Well see. Honestly I still have doubts regarding the f/1.8.

Other reports mentioned f/2.8. 

However, a "Pro" lens is not going to be cheap in any case.

Woohooo! I've been waiting for such an UWA forever.

A bit too late though, I just switched to Fuji.. ;-)

I don't think f/1.8 would make much sense. There is no DOF control anyway given the sensor size.

I'd rather it to be f/2.8 and much smaller.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
I do think f1.8 for 9mm makes sense for a MFT lens. Usually the sweet spot of a lens is reached after stopping down about 2 stops from the maximum aperture. If the maximum aperture is f1.8 then the sweet spot would be around f2.8-f4, just corresponding to f5.6-f8 for a FF lens. If the maximum aperture is f2.8 then the sweet spot would be around f5.6-f8 but then diffraction already comes in for MFT.

In fact I think all primes for MFT should start the aperture from at least f2.

Quote:I do think f1.8 for 9mm makes sense for a MFT lens. Usually the sweet spot of a lens is reached after stopping down about 2 stops from the maximum aperture. If the maximum aperture is f1.8 then the sweet spot would be around f2.8-f4, just corresponding to f5.6-f8 for a FF lens. If the maximum aperture is f2.8 then the sweet spot would be around f5.6-f8 but then diffraction already comes in for MFT.

Not necessarily. Some MFT lenses like the 12-40 don't really improve by stopping down (pretty much the same from f/2.8 to f/5.6 at all focal lengths).

If well designed, a 9mm f/2.8 could very well be at its best wide-open.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:I do think f1.8 for 9mm makes sense for a MFT lens. Usually the sweet spot of a lens is reached after stopping down about 2 stops from the maximum aperture. If the maximum aperture is f1.8 then the sweet spot would be around f2.8-f4, just corresponding to f5.6-f8 for a FF lens. If the maximum aperture is f2.8 then the sweet spot would be around f5.6-f8 but then diffraction already comes in for MFT.

There is no reason to assume an f2.8 lens on MFT would be not sharp at f2.8. No basis for that claim. A bit too simplistic an argument, I fear. 
Need vignetting not be cosnidered when we talk about "sweet spot" of a lens?

Yes an f2.8 lens can be very sharp at f2.8 from center to corner if the lens is well designed. But more often this is not the case.

In addition an f1.8 9mm lens would be great for low light  indoor photography (at least in situation when you need such a wide lens indoor).