Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panorama photography using two camera's
Good day to all,

Since I started to pursue photography I have always been interested in panorama photography. The thing is, that there isn't a panorama camera yet which is affordable. There are those camera's where you can sweep your camera around, which is nice. But I am too excited about it. I want to print a photohgraph of 2 metres wide, so want the best qaulity possible.

I could use a wide angle lens, but then I am limited. For example I want to take a panorama photo of a crashing wave, which is possible when you enter the water, but due to phycial limitations it is not an option.

So, I wondered is it possible to use two identical camera's and lenses(which I can borrow) to produce a good quality panorama? Has anyone tried it before? Or do you think I am bonkers?

Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Reinier

I thought about something similar for astrophotography to increase data acquisition rate, but you could do similar here. "Simply" get a mount to hold the cameras, and pre-align them for the lenses. Then you might need to get a little creative, and get a remote to set off both cameras at the same time. Thus you should get the image from both at the same time.

Have to wonder, if it might just be easier to get a D800 and crop?

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Maybe there are some finds on fleaBay. Like a Hasselblad XPan (made by Fuji, also TX-1) or a Linhof Technorama 617 film camera. These are still the one-shot Panorama kings, and maybe the Seitz 617 digital

Only thing is, people who bought those exotic specialities use to keep them.

Your idea with 2 cameras could work, but you'll need identical prime lenses for both, identical settings and identical focusing. Preferably manual focusing. Difficult to guarantee. With a wireless or infrared remote the should release simultaneoulsy.

Hm. I'm not quite sure about this, but I think there would be issues with stitching errors as the perspective is not the same for both cameras. The "correct" way to do a panorama is a) use a camera with a sensor/film size with the desired aspect ratio (e.g. xpan) or b ) shift the camera, but keep the lens in position. Basically, b ) simulates a), but does not work with moving subjects. The difference between b ) and the approach with two cameras is that the lens is not in the same position, thus perspective is changed.

I vote for getting a used xpan Big Grin

Mismatched perspective could be managed by not having anything too close in the foreground, or at least if there is, keep it outside of the overlap zone.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
felix, you mean the two cameras will not have the same nodal point?

That's true, and in a wave that will cause problems as the stitching area will cause problems, especially if there's a time difference in releasing the two shutters.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, due to personal problems I haven't been around online much.

A wide angle lens will work only if you can come close to certain subjects and so does a X-pan. For example photographing a wave you will need a telephoto lens(or two) or get into the water with a wide angle(otherwise the wave is just too far away), but that's not possible for me because I can hardly walk and need a wheelchair.

So, hence I am always looking for new ways to take photographs differently than a 'healty' person who can walk and can come close to the subject. So, I came up with the idea of using two camera's and try to produce a panorama that way. But I am afraid it won't work as easy as I thought.

I do have a Noblex medium format thought, but with moving objects (waves etc) it is not possible to get a sharp photograph.

Maybe I have to rent a 5D III or D800 and use just one telephoto lens and then crop the image?

Kind regards,

Reinier
Reinier, I think this is the right way to go. Other options will make the whole process more complicated and more expensive.
The "easy" way will be using an anamorphic lens. You focus with a normal lens read from the distance scale, put the  anamorphic lens on, set the same distance and shoot.

You get a "squished" result, which you will have to unsquish in photoshop. You also get a wider FOV than you saw without the anamorphic lens.

The results are fundamentally the same as "cropping" (you do not , the advantage is that you do not cheat (cropping is kinda cheating, in a way, changing the framing that you actually shot). You do, however, get more vertical data. So you can choose to stretch the image horizontally instead, and end up with more detail than you would have gotten by cropping.

http://petapixel.com/2014/05/07/shooting...lens-dslr/