Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name a lens for which you would invest in a system
Quote:yeah, with the small addendum "excellent lenses for those who have no problems with focus by wire"  <_<

Why do you need to use MF on AF lenses?

It's mostly justified for macro work, but otherwise I just don't see the necessity.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Good question. Had to think a bit about the answer, but I found a couple:

• using manual focus can be helpful when using a tele-zoom like the 100-400 and the focus gets continuously distracted by twigs, parts of fences or other obstacles
  • astrophotography (but that's difficult with EVF anyway)
  • studioscenes, where it's enough to focus manually
  • all kinds of videography (there's a nice video from theCameraStore in which they explain why manual focus by wire really sucks and AF is just hunting)
Quote:Why do you need to use MF on AF lenses?

It's mostly justified for macro work, but otherwise I just don't see the necessity.

For landscape photography, especially at night it’s a lot easier to set focus at infinity and you are done.

How do you use AF when there isn’t enough light for the AF system to work?
I like focus by wire. Actually, I even prefer focus by wire on mirrorless cameras to mechanical focus rings, especially those of AF lenses with 30 degree turns.

Quote:For landscape photography, especially at night it’s a lot easier to set focus at infinity and you are done.

How do you use AF when there isn’t enough light for the AF system to work?
When that happens, I mostly surmise that if it's so dark that the top of the line AF isn't working, there is no point in shooting anyway.  Wink
So, no startrails? No further picture of milky way?  Wink
No night landscapes?
I said "mostly".  Wink I'm doing this but only once in a blue moon (thrice last year and probably never anywhen else Smile).

Quote:When that happens, I mostly surmise that if it's so dark that the top of the line AF isn't working, there is no point in shooting anyway.  Wink

Sometimes there is no need to rely on the AF system. You can set focus to just about anywhere on a lens wider than 20mm and everything will be adequately be in focus. I prefer infinity and there are good reasons but that's another story.

Packing your gear just because the light is too low seems like a limp excuse.

There are great shots possible everywhere at anytime of day and night!
All right, all right. MF is indeed useful when shooting night landscapes.

However, I still fail understanding why focus by wire is an impediment in such situations...

--Florent

Flickr gallery