Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leica T system announced
I'm not sure what labour costs in Germany are, but figure around $30 (USD) of labour...  That's probably works out to about $150 at the retail level.  Actually, I don't think the body is really outrageously priced.  But the lenses...$1750 for a kit zoom...

Quote:I'm not sure what labour costs in Germany are, but figure around $30 (USD) of labour...  That's probably works out to about $150 at the retail level.  Actually, I don't think the body is really outrageously priced.  But the lenses...$1750 for a kit zoom...

If you're not sure what labour costs in Germany are - why are you guessing far too low? I don't think there are much employees at Leica working for that bit of money. Also, what they get paid are not the real working costs for Leica itself as they have machinery, buildings, social costs, taxes and a lot more.

Canada or Taiwan are different places.

Leica is a costly brand, but everybody expects them to be more expensive than all the others. At least, they survived about 100 years with their prices.  ^_^

As long as they can get clients to pay, there's nothing wrong with it.
Quote:If you're not sure what labour costs in Germany are - why are you guessing far too low? I don't think there are much employees at Leica working for that bit of money. Also, what they get paid are not the real working costs for Leica itself as they have machinery, buildings, social costs, taxes and a lot more.

Canada or Taiwan are different places.

Leica is a costly brand, but everybody expects them to be more expensive than all the others. At least, they survived about 100 years with their prices.  ^_^

As long as they can get clients to pay, there's nothing wrong with it.

What a laugh that you criticize my speculation then immediately you move into speculation:

Joju: " I don't think..."

Don't tell us what you think or don't think, tell us what you actually know. How much then, Jojo?  More than $40/hour for a polisher?    

Really Canada and Taiwan are different places?  Wow, what insight.  You're a sage.  What a wizard you are.

Sorry, I don't know where the eff you are since your profile is anonymous. The anonymous people seem to have the bigger mouths are but less useful things to say. In this PZ community, most contributing users share their picture, their location, their website...at least their first name. Really can't trust anyone who hides behind their usernames.
like dave9t5?  Tongue

I'm German living in Switzerland. And you're a guesser... I know the salaries at Leica are higher than your guess. How much? Ask themselves. How cool you are to talk about labor costs with no idea about them. B) How likely they used one of the workers doing the finish in the ad?

Quote: 

Don't tell us what you think or don't think, tell us what you actually know. How much then, Jojo?  More than $40/hour for a polisher? 

Are you real that simple thinker to reduce the labor costs to the polish?

Now, for real - after watching some parts of this weird ad I'm asking myself if Leica does want to create the impression their cameras are worked like an individual piece of jewelry? Maybe they should get some production managers of the Apple suppliers. An average Macbook with unibody gets after some highspeed milling a very good looking polishing. Imagine what happens to a Leica owner when that piece of metal gets it's first scratch? Okay, laying in a wooden box with red velvet there won't be scratch. :o

There won't be an "iconic photo" out of this thing, too. Putting the Vietnam picture of the naked kids into the advertisement section shows very nicely the lack of taste of this brand. I just don't bring the hyperposh point'n'shoot piece together with dirty places in one of the actual wars.

Quote:http://vimeo.com/92073118

Just saw this linked elsewhere... Leica made a 45 minute video of someone hand polishing the body of the T. I haven't watched it all the way through but that does show where some of the cost in the system goes! Thankfully the voiceover does stop going on after a few minutes so you can leave the rest playing in the background Smile

The only caution for Leica with this style of advertising is the expression "polishing a turd..."
Cool video, I wish they mentioned the lenses used for this "episode". Although 45 min is overkill.
Quote:I'm not sure what labour costs in Germany are, but figure around $30 (USD) of labour...  That's probably works out to about $150 at the retail level.  Actually, I don't think the body is really outrageously priced.  But the lenses...$1750 for a kit zoom...

45min of that kind of labour in Germany ? Make it around 50EUR inc. social securities excluding workplace costs.

Quote:like dave9t5?  Tongue

I'm German living in Switzerland. And you're a guesser... I know the salaries at Leica are higher than your guess. How much? Ask themselves. How cool you are to talk about labor costs with no idea about them. B) How likely they used one of the workers doing the finish in the ad?

Are you real that simple thinker to reduce the labor costs to the polish?

Like in my signature at the bottom of this post where it says my real name and where there is a link to more real information about me.
Quote:45min of that kind of labour in Germany ? Make it around 50EUR inc. social securities excluding workplace costs.
Thanks for some real information Klaus.

Maybe the highly paid polishers at Leica are the ones that can afford the Leica T...
Quote:Thanks for some real information Klaus.

Maybe the highly paid polishers at Leica are the ones that can afford the Leica T...

I know it's pointless to tell you, just by looking at your first guess. Anyway, others read along, too.

Klaus' number is closer to probability than yours. But the real number only could be told by the production manager of Leica. It depends on

- Where in Germany (or somewhere else) this camera is manufactured? It can well be in Solms, but the bodies are polished somewhere else with lower costs.

- By men or women? Different salaries for the same work are still reality.

- if they are using their own workers or lean workers?

That "fashion" came over from the states and the result is that you can have the same work done and the worker gets 7-10€/hour or the double rate - and this double rate has to be mulitplied by 2 for the social costs like health insurance, longer holidays, insurance for unemployment, retirement

So, his guess is much closer - but it still is a guess. Only Leica can tell the real number, and they won't. That's the reason to put a very dull video of "Leicas are polished by hand" fairytale. But who knows, maybe the batch is that small that even an expensive polisher works cheaper than the appropriate machinery?

Calculating only the polisher's salary as a base of camera costs (I guess, you wanted to type 1500, not 150?) - now that is a weird thing to say. On the other side: How big the surprise would have been if Leica made a camera which is not the most expensive in it's class? As long as they have customers to pay, all other manufacturers could remain envy.
Acoording to Dpreview, the 1750$ kiz zoom requires a good amount of software correction:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/leica-t-typ701/6