Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon MTF's
   Why is it that the lenses I look at either have MTF's in the 2200's at the center or the 3500"s in the center ( usually primes ).  Aren't there any lenses in  between these numbers?

Most lenses are pretty sharp in the center, especially when stopped down. The 2200's are on a Nikon D200, the 3800's are on a Nikon D3x. There are also lenses tested on a D7000, with reach around the 2700's.

The difference between the cameras is because of different sensor resolution.

Thanks, Brightcolors

It just seemed strange that there was that much difference in the lenses.  I was only looking at the 10 mp tests so I wasn't mixing them up.  I use a D 300s, so the 10 mp is closer to what I would get.

The difference is not in the lenses, but in the test cameras used. The LW/PH figure means "Line widths per picture height", where picture height is in pixels. So, on a camera with higher resolution (and thus higher image height in pixels), the maximum value a lens can achieve is higher.

That's why there is a different scaling for any test camera we use.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Thanks, Brightcolors

It just seemed strange that there was that much difference in the lenses.  I was only looking at the 10 mp tests so I wasn't mixing them up.  I use a D 300s, so the 10 mp is closer to what I would get.
Then which lens test showed "3500" figures? I still suspect you may have mixed them up?
   One of the lenses that scored in the 3500 range was the Nikon 24 mm f/2.8D. I have this lens, that is why I looked it up.  It did not list what camera it was tested on.  I imagine most of the primes would test in the 3000's in the center.

Quote:   One of the lenses that scored in the 3500 range was the Nikon 24 mm f/2.8D. I have this lens, that is why I looked it up.  It did not list what camera it was tested on.  I imagine most of the primes would test in the 3000's in the center.
So you looked at it being tested on the D3x, not the D200.

It matters which camera it is tested on, as the resolution of the sensor determines the maximum possible value.