Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new battle of the pro standard zooms!
I wonder what is Tokina doing after being the third player and after some excellent products in the ultrawides segment, they seem too silent lately

Tokina should take example from their peers, their reputation is starting to slip, mediocre flare results and their oh so clunky and old push pull AF/MF system coupled with a mixture of AF motors/screw-drive are not winning them any favours.......

they need to up their game....the glass itself is pretty good!
I can't remember when I saw something new form Tokina on the usual websites. But then, I'm not sure if If would have noticed because Tokina has nothing I want and can't get from Tamron or Sigma  Big Grin

Last thing I remember Tokina introducing... was the 70-200mm f4, only for Nikon F-mount because Canon already had their 70-200mm f4 lenses, just after Nikon introduced their 70-200m f4 with VR. Yeah, that must have looked like a good opportunity on paper, many years ago. I wonder if they old a single copy?

Nikon 12-24 was the same as tokina 12-24 (rebadged ?)

When everyone had 17-55 tokina launched 16-50, they also had 10-16f2.8 then 10-20f2.8 they made a fisheye zoom that was very popular also
Quote:Nikon 12-24 was the same as tokina 12-24 (rebadged ?)
Of course not. The Nikkor 12-24mm f4 is NOT a Tokina lens in any way, shape or form.
Quote:When everyone had 17-55 tokina launched 16-50, they also had 10-16f2.8 then 10-20f2.8 they made a fisheye zoom that was very popular also
Tokina's 16-50mm f2.8 was the worst lens of its kind. And a Pentax lens.
Tokina did not have a 10-16mm lens.
The Tokina 10-17mm fisheye was not popular, that is why it disappeared. Also not a Tokina but a Pentax lens.
The 12-24 was a rebadged Pentax. Or vice-versa, depending on whom you ask Wink

The wide-angles toni mentioned start at 11mm, not 10. So, it's 11-16/2.8 and now a 10-20.

My impression of the 10-17 was slightly different, I think it was and still is very popular. And definitely not "disappeared", it's still a current product and in fact Tokina added a special version without hood.

Their latest announcement was the 24-70/2.8 Pro FX, I think...
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:My impression of the 10-17 was slightly different, I think it was and still is very popular. And definitely not "disappeared", it's still a current product and in fact Tokina added a special version without hood.

Another one? Zeiss also offers the 15/2.8 with or without hood, difference: after purchase, without hood you walk away without 500$

Meaning, you don't have to worry about the hood. Or the 500 bucks as they are not longer yours...

Right, cars without a decent roof also cost more  :lol:
Quote:The 12-24 was a rebadged Pentax. Or vice-versa, depending on whom you ask Wink

The wide-angles toni mentioned start at 11mm, not 10. So, it's 11-16/2.8 and now a 10-20.

My impression of the 10-17 was slightly different, I think it was and still is very popular. And definitely not "disappeared", it's still a current product and in fact Tokina added a special version without hood.

Their latest announcement was the 24-70/2.8 Pro FX, I think...
I remember at the time, canon 5Dmkii was out and everyone was going full frame so owners of this lens were "shaving" it by removing the hood to allow functioning on full frame.
I just love tokina build quality too bad they are struggling, my tokina 16-28 is an amazing lens, too bad its range on APS-C isn't that practical
Quote:Of course not. The Nikkor 12-24mm f4 is NOT a Tokina lens in any way, shape or form.

Tokina's 16-50mm f2.8 was the worst lens of its kind. And a Pentax lens.

Tokina did not have a 10-16mm lens.

The Tokina 10-17mm fisheye was not popular, that is why it disappeared. Also not a Tokina but a Pentax lens.

Ah... the DA*16-50mm F2.8 Pentax lens, note the star, actually, I had the lens for a short while, I bought it inexpensively because it had the ubiquitous "dead" SDM motor syndrome........I had the lens repaired FOC......but it had the common Pentax trait of being poorly centered...

I found that the lens had a poor mechanical design, the front element assembly runs on three thin plastic rails which quickly wear and produce wobble...

...the CA is monstrous at wide angles and is of the blue and yellow type....at F5.6 things come together however..

Indeed, another lens that Pentax need to update......but I digress....

In Dustin Abbot's  stand-up battle of the 24-70s... G2 vs the Sigma Art...  suddenly Dustin throws the Canon L MKII  into the the mix......

...the Canon does very well......there's no doubt that when Canon created their "holy trinity" they rose to the occasion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh_r8Pe2wb0&t=64s