Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a phone call from Fuji regarding my defective XF 55-200mm
> I do wonder if this centering issue is new or old (maybe in the days of film and hand assembly we just didn't notice ?)

I had lemons during these days too. However, the problem is much more apparent now. We all got our loupe now  (100% view on a monitor). It was a little better maybe because there were few IS lenses and products weren't hastily pushed into the market - at least not comparable to how they do it now.

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….as u2 said, when allowing for the markups in retail (importer/retail sales etc) and for the cost of having to return the lens to the factory if no local repairs are done, possibly the original price the manufacturer receives for a lens is quite low, and I’ve often wondered how do they produce a quality product for such a low price….so a replacement lens could be the best option for the manufacturer and for the purchaser (as a specific manufacturing process might have overcome some original problems and faults)

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….so maybe be thankful that Fuji has offered to provide a new lens, while not admitting openly that they had a build problem with the lens….hopefully this is something they do for every purchaser of their gear and not just as a result of, ahem, noise….and indeed this option is not dissimilar to a certain US shop offer of replacement of a bad lens….which just might result in receiving another bad lens (from the same batch?) as a replacement ;-)

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….anyhow maybe Fuji is trying to do the right thing while quietly improving their quality control….so, thank you Fuji….until they prove me wrong….

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….my own approach to purchases is that if the retailer/manufacturer is totally unsympathetic, either in just one deal or two, I simply don’t deal with them again no matter what wonderful gear they have to sell….I have saved a lot of money and said retailer/manufacturer lost a lot of sales as a result….and at last I have gear that works from a company that works….

Quote:Klaus, again thanks for the report. It's interesting to hear about this side of the business.

But I implore you, collect your efforts :-)

See my posts http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...-32mm-f18/

Yes, I noticed this. Honestly, how many magazines are really complaining hard ?

The problem is that most of them are getting lenses for testing and nice invitations to special events. Take your own conclusions.

Lensrentals and we are (mostly) purchasing lenses thus we are feeling/sharing the pain first hand. Thus we don't have a nice sales rep that supplies replacement lenses straight away.
Quote:<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….as u2 said, when allowing for the markups in retail (importer/retail sales etc) and for the cost of having to return the lens to the factory if no local repairs are done, possibly the original price the manufacturer receives for a lens is quite low, and I’ve often wondered how do they produce a quality product for such a low price….so a replacement lens could be the best option for the manufacturer and for the purchaser (as a specific manufacturing process might have overcome some original problems and faults)

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….so maybe be thankful that Fuji has offered to provide a new lens, while not admitting openly that they had a build problem with the lens….hopefully this is something they do for every purchaser of their gear and not just as a result of, ahem, noise….and indeed this option is not dissimilar to a certain US shop offer of replacement of a bad lens….which just might result in receiving another bad lens (from the same batch?) as a replacement ;-)

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….anyhow maybe Fuji is trying to do the right thing while quietly improving their quality control….so, thank you Fuji….until they prove me wrong….

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….my own approach to purchases is that if the retailer/manufacturer is totally unsympathetic, either in just one deal or two, I simply don’t deal with them again no matter what wonderful gear they have to sell….I have saved a lot of money and said retailer/manufacturer lost a lot of sales as a result….and at last I have gear that works from a company that works….

I don't think that Fuji was aware "that it was me". 
Quote:I don't think that Fuji was aware "that it was me". 
....yes possibly true....in which case their response (to send a replacement) seems to me to be a good and worthy attempt to heal a customer complaint....to try to keep the customer on-side....I've found some well known companies that do not appear to think this way....which is possibly just bad PR toward a little person in these cases....

....however I have to say that a company, especially in this specific narrow field, which does not have staff, or PR, paying attention to social media relating to them is asking for trouble....and diminishing returns (sales that is, not as in lens returns, although that would also apply :-)...

Klaus,

I'm not saying it's going to be easy and that you're going to get massive support. I'm saying you should try anyway :-)

But I think you could well start with people like Roger Cicala. Roger Cicala as you may know, is also guest writer on petapixel... Petapixel is a well visited site I think. Roger Cicala is also sometimes quoted on Dpreview.

Dpreview has been getting a rather bad press since they've been bought by Amazon but frankly, I still think you have to look hard to find any commercial bias in their article. I think its journalists are still integer. And regardless of their ties (well, just licensees afaik) with DXOMark, I don't think DxOMark has shown any brand bias yet. They're still going to generate traffic with subversive posts and it may well start with a study in sample variation and, because we know of that already, service quality variation.

Also, don't underestimate the influence of properly placed social networking campaigns. We're not talking "big worldwide buzz" as it's still only going to reach photo interested people but we're talking considerable influence within the photosphere.

You're frequently quoted on rumor sites too : be it fujirumours, 43rumors, sonyalpharumours, and the like (OK, some of them are the same writer) and these sites do get audience.

Klaus, I know this is only a side activity for you guys, but I think this is only the logical step. You've been gaining a considerable knowledge and experience over the years, sharing it with us and I see that is a worthy step to try.

Typing all this with a nice beer, Rochefort 10°, I typed for the first time in the facebook search field "photozone", 0 results. For the first time it seemed to me it's really a missed opportunity. You just have to post links to your new reviews, the rest happens on the live feed of your followers. And Petapixel shares it, and Dpreview... and 43rumors. Well, I don't think I have to 101 you on social networks :-). At the very least it would boost your traffic.

Think of a strategy (channels, phases, commercial contacts, ...), contact potential associates and discuss your strategy with them... Think of it. Just imagine what impact it would be if a few websites would share a joint This is most likely spam content on servicing experiences (region based, as we know it matters much), sample quality, ...  on the same day.

You have the authority to do so and I think it's a beautiful project.

Aaah dreams :-)

Quote:Yes, I noticed this. Honestly, how many magazines are really complaining hard ?

The problem is that most of them are getting lenses for testing and nice invitations to special events. Take your own conclusions.

Lensrentals and we are (mostly) purchasing lenses thus we are feeling/sharing the pain first hand. Thus we don't have a nice sales rep that supplies replacement lenses straight away.
I can find our facebook page when searching for photozone ...  Smile

https://www.facebook.com/pages/photozone...713?ref=hl

Quote:After the recent experience I am back to MFT.

Glad to hear it Big Grin
Quote:<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);">….as u2 said, when allowing for the markups in retail (importer/retail sales etc) and for the cost of having to return the lens to the factory if no local repairs are done, possibly the original price the manufacturer receives for a lens is quite low, and I’ve often wondered how do they produce a quality product for such a low price….so a replacement lens could be the best option for the manufacturer and for the purchaser (as a specific manufacturing process might have overcome some original problems and faults)

As mentioned - I do certainly appreciate the exchange ... assuming that the new sample is better. However, the messed it up in the first place and 35 days (and only after complaining) is way too long.

Imagine this situation with a car. Unthinkable.
The force is strong in this Rocherfort 10°. Jokes aside, nice question dodging :-)

Quote:I can find our facebook page when searching for photozone ...  Smile

https://www.facebook.com/pages/photozone...713?ref=hl