Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another switch from Canon to MFT ....
Nice review, actually, quite balanced:

http://aurelm.com/2017/07/10/olympus-e-m...sh-review/

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Hi Wim,

Thanks for share.

I spent my first vacation, a week in CDMX, with my Oly kit and have been working on my thoughts to write a synopsis in this forum. Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend.  A couple of comments, for street photography I really liked the extra DOF. I'm also still floored on the shots I'm getting handheld.

Hi Mike,

I will be looking forward to your synopsis.

For me the extra DoF really depends on what I am shooting. I tend to try and not overdo DoF in any case, not with FF, neither with MFT, Not overdoing DoF in my case means really both ways: not too shallow, but also not too deep. I do like to try and shoot at the apertures where the camera is best, or otherwise where DoF is just enough for me. Sharpness from close-up to infinity is highly overrated, especially as at infinity there is no sensor (or film) that actually can resolve any detail anyway Smile, unless you use very long telelenses Smile. Leaves on treas in the background generally are unrecognizable after all, short of the green mass in the background which you know are leaves Smile.

For street it obviously is different, as you are quite close, and generally do not use telelenses Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Good morning Wim (my time),

In CDMX is was overcast the whole time. Fortunately showers were limited to evenings. Even then, it only rained for a few minutes. The locals would just stand under something and wait it out. I was getting shots I wouldn't have ever got with FF or aps-c cameras. 

I ordered the Pany 7-14/4 this morning. For the trip I had picked up an inexpensive fisheye auxiliary lens. Not the highest quality, but I got a lot fun shots with it. Especially in crowds.

Quote:Good morning Wim (my time),

In CDMX is was overcast the whole time. Fortunately showers were limited to evenings. Even then, it only rained for a few minutes. The locals would just stand under something and wait it out. I was getting shots I wouldn't have ever got with FF or aps-c cameras.

I ordered the Pany 7-14/4 this morning. For the trip I had picked up an inexpensive fisheye auxiliary lens. Not the highest quality, but I got a lot fun shots with it. Especially in crowds.
At ultawide angles with a fisheye, DOF is so big that you don't really have to focus using the distance scale on the lens is more than enough and with the prices so affordable I can see no reason not to get one.

However don't overdue it, use the fisheye only for some selected shots be creative with the lines, always look for leading lines, or for a natural framing, otherwise all your shots would look alike
Quote:Good morning Wim (my time),

I think you'll like the Pany 7-14. No need to stop down beyond F/5.6, and excellent at F/4 already Smile.

Just watch out for the flares some people report on - personally I haven't seen any yet, however Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Quote:Nice review, actually, quite balanced:

http://aurelm.com/2017/07/10/olympus-e-m...sh-review/

Kind regards, Wim
Hi Wim,

It seems that this guy follow your “upgrade”way. APS-C -> FF - > mFT

I cannot understand anything in this article. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

You buy FF because you need DOF control , nice optical viewfinder , AF performance and last but not least special lenses. E.g in canon land - Tillt-Shift 17TS 24TS or 65mm Macro or/and long whites 300, 400, 500 600mm/2,8

If you don’t need them look somewhere else. Am I right?

It is like buying luxury Mercedes van when you  need Ferray race car.

BTW: You made I long journey in formats. I wonder what can you say at the end. Please share you experience! I remembered your eufory  when you switch from 350D to 5D

FYI – I stick and mastered only one format. I’m still happy with my 400d/50d. 

Various formats for various purposes, I'd say. All this form factors have different advantages and caveats. Usually we don't have the problem of not enough cameras t choose from, but we wnat to have one that rule them all - to stay in your picture, The luxurious van with two Ferrari engines, but the parking spot not bigger than a writing desk,

Sometimes we want too much. And it's just expensive, not exacty illegal to buy more than one system  Wink I could not decide from what I experience in a shop, if this or the other camera is the (non existing) "only right one".. So, it's either "live with the shortcomings" or "try to get somthing else to fill the gaps" - as long as I can finance camera collecting, I might appear a bit weird to smartphone-photogs, but I knew a guy collecting 600 bandonèons in his house...
The problem is that I’m not professional photographer neither pro driver.

I can only drive one thinks optimal – My own car and canon dSLRs

I can still use the car of my wife and other cameras but in sub-optimal way.

That is why I ask Wim to share experience. I still remembered how happy was Wim with canon 50/1.2 135/2.0 and 17TS.

Quote:Various formats for various purposes, I'd say. All this form factors have different advantages and caveats. Usually we don't have the problem of not enough cameras t choose from, but we wnat to have one that rule them all - to stay in your picture, The luxurious van with two Ferrari engines, but the parking spot not bigger than a writing desk,

Sometimes we want too much. And it's just expensive, not exacty illegal to buy more than one system  Wink I could not decide from what I experience in a shop, if this or the other camera is the (non existing) "only right one".. So, it's either "live with the shortcomings" or "try to get somthing else to fill the gaps" - as long as I can finance camera collecting, I might appear a bit weird to smartphone-photogs, but I knew a guy collecting 600 bandonèons in his house...

Yes! I have 7 guitars Smile