Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a bokeh factory possible
And what can Apple watch do better than any ordinary fitness tracker which at least has some battery life?

Occasionally I also was impressed what's possible with an iPhone or galaxy or whatever, but then I saw the device used by Apple to get these 6 m high street banners. Didn't look less amssive than any FF DSLR to me.  Tongue

Quote:Nope. My normal cliché answer to smartphones applies here as well: I don't like phones smarter than me, over time they do make me even dumber than I already am.

It's like giving a real fast car to someone who uses to practice running - now he will loosing some running skills because it's tempting to use the car.
Very valid point... in fact we now have the technology to carry the whole world's wisdom in our pockest, yet it seems that for most people it's just a time-killer tool instead.

There is a striking analogy to cars, but not the way you described it: modern cars have so many technical aids built in that take over in critical situations, that you don't actually need to know or even practice how to handle a car properly. This is great, of course, and has obviously saved a lot of lifes. However, it sometimes feels that it gives a false impression of safety to many drivers, relying too much on all these assisting systems and probably completely unaware of the physical limits (which I had to learn the hard way in driving school and especially the first years after)
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:And what can Apple watch do better than any ordinary fitness tracker which at least has some battery life?
Well, it is obviously part of their ecosystem (to which I am locked in to anyway), so the integration with my existing devices is much better than with 3rd party products. Plus there are watch compagnong apps for some of the iOS apps I use regularly (but not for all of them).
Editor
opticallimits.com

Well, I bought (one of the 1000 accessories in my drawers) one of these sleeves with a wrist- or armband. Usually jogging people use them to carry their phones, but now they use more and more the wireless earplugs. In white they remind me on ear-tampons, maybe to stop the brain bleeding...  :lol:

I bought that sleeve set up a handsfree remote control with an iPod to my camera - that could be a use for the Apple watch, if the screen were not far too small to be useful. Anyway, I'm as well prisoner in Apple's ecosystem, I just don't swallow each shit they throw up. My life long complaint to Apple is: Bleeding money and at the same time abandoning a world class photo organisation software with a somehow decent RAW-converter to me is completely unforgiveable. Idiots and Losers are the nicer labels I have for Apple's management, totally incapable of innovation. They chew old meat to the bone.

Actually, I just found the video o DPReview: https://www.dpreview.com/videos/71894605...-they-seem

So, as great as these cameras are, take the results presented by their makers with two grains of salt  ^_^

Quote:And what can Apple watch do better than any ordinary fitness tracker which at least has some battery life?

The number one thing that the Watch will do that ordinary fitness trackers won't do is to save lives.

I am absolutely certain that the Apple Watch is going to save tens of thousands of lives. How?

The new watch (not mine, not just yet) will come with Watch OS 4 and the all important heart monitoring app. The app not only tracks your heart rate but warns you when you are about to have a heart attack.

Yes, it learns over time what is and what is not normal for you. 

I'm sure you know that most people who die of a heart attack don't recognise the warning signs. But the Watch does and it says to you “Hey, you are about to die. You better do something”. Or something to this effect.

Other things that were only in the sci-fi films are now a reality. You can now make a cellular call without having your phone with you. Truly amazing, no?

And for those who have an understanding of their spouses, you can send each other your very own heart beats. Not a big deal to many, I'm sure. But I can tell you that the wife getting my heartbeat tells her about us in ways that needs no words.

The list goes on. Very soon, you will be able to pay at a check out by simply raising your watch at the cashiers, doing away with finding cards and fumbling with passcodes that we often forget.

But hey, people can remain skeptical. What can I say?

Oh, the Watch is telling me to stand. Think it's a gimmick? Ask yourself how often you take the time to stand for 1 minute every hour?
Andy, this post is too tempting! Hope you excuse me making some fun out of it (not of you, beware). As I know for sure that laughing more is definitely helping us for not getting heart attacks or -problems with that organ  Big Grin 

Quote:The number one thing that the Watch will do that ordinary fitness trackers won't do is to save lives.

I am absolutely certain that the Apple Watch is going to save tens of thousands of lives. How?

The new watch (not mine, not just yet) will come with Watch OS 4 and the all important heart monitoring app. The app not only tracks your heart rate but warns you when you are about to have a heart attack.

A cardiologist told me that half the people getting a heart attack know it after they died. I just imagie me climbing some roads around Lake Bohinj, my watch tells me "hey you're about to die" and all I can think is "good to know, we all gonna die anyway, but the last f***ing thing I want to share this special moment with is a nosy watch.  :unsure:

Quote:Yes, it learns over time what is and what is not normal for you. 

I'm sure you know that most people who die of a heart attack don't recognise the warning signs. But the Watch does and it says to you “Hey, you are about to die. You better do something”. Or something to this effect.

Other things that were only in the sci-fi films are now a reality. You can now make a cellular call without having your phone with you. Truly amazing, no?

And for those who have an understanding of their spouses, you can send each other your very own heart beats. Not a big deal to many, I'm sure. But I can tell you that the wife getting my heartbeat tells her about us in ways that needs no words.
That's excellent, I gonna order a dozen. Does it come with or without spouse? And how do you know, or how does your wife know, she's looking forward to become a widow or your workout is a bit more stressful after three bottles of wine last night or you became excited, not to mention aroused by, say, a new lens, certain (maybe even female) people in swimwear or one of these intelligent and highly charming comments of me? I think there's still some room for improvements, don't you agree? Maybe I'll wait for the next generation. Just keep me posted.

Quote:The list goes on. Very soon, you will be able to pay at a check out by simply raising your watch at the cashiers, doing away with finding cards and fumbling with passcodes that we often forget.
With or without tipp? 

Quote:But hey, people can remain skeptical. What can I say?

Oh, the Watch is telling me to stand. Think it's a gimmick? Ask yourself how often you take the time to stand for 1 minute every hour?

Don't need to ask me that: My office desk moves from low (sitting) to high (standing) position in half second - and I'm a fanatic standing PC user, as thoughts are flowing better.  Wink

Quote:This is great, of course, and has obviously saved a lot of lifes. However, it sometimes feels that it gives a false impression of safety to many driver

These are primary points. Let's add another: how many people will just relegate driving a car to the fact of moving fast from one place to another? How many potential driver champions will be lost, because they aren't aroused by a father whose driving style is more sport-oriented? Sport-oriented doesn't mean driving at 200km/h: it maybe just the matter of using a manual gear in place of an automated one...

(Now, I reckon this specific example has got a strong limit: we still have plenty of driver champions, because in the end there is a very limited number of places to allocate - e.g. F1 drivers can't be but a few dozens. But just imagine that this specific limit doesn't exist...).

And are we sure Hamilton or Vettel are champions of the same stuff as those in the past? Sure, they deliver. But, personally, I'm getting more and more bored by a F1 competition (and I've even worked in that field, a few years ago) hearing the discussions being more and more focused on technical stuff, being electronics or tires - or the rules, which are forced to be more and more complex - rather than the genuine skill of the driver.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
This thread is more confusing than playing Chinese whispers.

I remember in High School a game started with “Dominic wears glasses and has a gold watch”. By the time it went around the classroom it was something like “Dominic hates the iPhone X bokeh and lost his Apple Watch”.

Humm, now the Watch is telling me to breathe. Like, I don't know how to breathe!

I'm sure there's an app for this.

Which tells your watch not to tell you how to breathe after you confirmed to know how to do.