Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Pentax K3
Hi guys,

Well it's officially announced the K3! 

It looks like a real advance for Pentax and Ricoh's input has certainly kicked things forward, perhaps the most interesting new feature is the moiré reduction system on the AA less 24 Mp sensor, which uses the shake reduction system to move the sensor by vibrations at 500 Hz to lower the effective resolution thus preventing moiré.  Over the years Pentax has pioneered many innovations, but it will be interesting to see as to whether this principle will be adopted by other manufactures.

Spec-wise, it's a big step up from K5 and I'm gagging to see if the new AF system ( 27 points -3 - +18 EV) can really put Pentax up there with Canikon as far as sports shooting is concerned, especially at 8.3 FPS. Shutter life has also doubled (200K actuations). 

We will have to wait for the reviews to see how live view performs,Canon has taken a big lead with their AF phase detect system using split pixels to produce smooth focusing transitions during movie mode without hunting and I can't see Pentax competing here, but otherwise there's not a lot lacking. 

All this at the same price as the K20 cost five years ago,

Personally, I think that the K3 puts Pentax back in the race!

Nice camera ... which brings us back to the question ... where are the new lenses ?

The HD DA 55-300mm isn't actually a new design, it seems, although new buyers will certainly appreciate a better coating.

I think it was the lens question which delayed the FF, I'm not so sure of Pentax's ability to bring out news lenses in a short time scale which is why they lean heavily on Tokina/Tamron, new coatings are of course welcome as is the WR of the 55-300mm,  great sales figures of the K3 however could turn things round in that department, Pentax/Ricoh had the talent but it beggars the question of how many lens designers have they retained on their staff?

Given the last years I just cannot imagine how Pentax could release a full format camera.

You can, and this is even mostly valid, argue that the APC-C lens lineup is pretty much complete. However, this is not the market perception. If they really wanted to go full format they would have to release those lenses beforehand (since full format lenses are naturally compatible to APS-C DSLRs). 

Still, a cool camera ... possibly the best APC-DSLR there is. 

Quote:Given the last years I just cannot imagine how Pentax could release a full format camera.

You can, and this is even mostly valid, argue that the APC-C lens lineup is pretty much complete. However, this is not the market perception. If they really wanted to go full format they would have to release those lenses beforehand (since full format lenses are naturally compatible to APS-C DSLRs). 

Still, a cool camera ... possibly the best APC-DSLR there is. 
  Agreed !         

OT.  a hands on with the Zeis 55mm F1.4     http://diglloyd.com/articles/ZeissZ/Zeis...5f1_4.html
I was kind of hoping for a future review of the HD limited lenses @24mpx, with maybe comparison with the SMC ^^

I understand that the HD designs are essentially identical to the DA Ltds. Thus the only difference can be flare due to the different coating.

I'm well aware that the Pentax community is eager to see new tests but it is prohibitive to buy lenses for testing. Due to the low market share the costs are simply not recoverable. Unless we are see a substantial amount of new Pentax lenses, I can't see a chance for new tests on the K3.

I was hoping for at least better aberration control, or even the confirmation that it did not change much... Or even simply to update tests for people considering the lineup for 24mpx, but as someone now holding for a FF, it was mere curiosity and not really a need. 

I also understand the problem of acquiring the lenses and that you may want to invest your time in more productive activities, of course.

Maybe I will have a look once again for how much these lenses are selling over at eBay.

The costs for the K-3 are a lesser issue but if I can only recover half of the price when selling the lenses, this would be prohibitive.

imaging-resource.com has tested the new SR-based AA filter, and it works just as advertised:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pe...FA_AA0.HTM (off)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pe...FA_AA1.HTM (weak)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pe...FA_AA2.HTM (strong)

I find this very impressive.