Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
changing a winning team ?85f1.8 instead of 50f1.4
Quote:If you ever get hands on both lenses, you might ask yourself how much sense can be found in a comparison between these two.

The Sigma weighs 1130 grams, the Tamron 660 (Nikon version). It's not just a bit heavier. It's super massive and needs a lot of space in a bag. So, by comparing bokeh, I strongly recommend to stay in the same class. Also, my impression is, that "bokeh" says a lot and nothing at the same time. Blur quality depends in my experience from a lot of parameters. It's very difficult to create meaningful tests of that - one has a beautiful background blur, but the foreground sucks as soon as highlights are involved, the other is rendering double contours, but only at close distances, the next gives a nice bokeh at the cost of massive aberrations... I think, anybody who dares to place a "bokeh" verdict, puts himself in a questionable position.
   Well we all know that "bokeh beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

But I think both lenses do well......a portrait lens is a bit of a one trick pony....away from there it has little benefit in most situations over a decent 70-200mm F2.8.

The Sigma with it's size and weight is restrictive as you say.

I don't shoot many portraits so my clunky old 85mm AF-F1.8D will have to do, although the Sigma 150mm macro does a better job!

Maybe the old Sigma 85/1.4 is an option too... (by far not as large/heavy as the Art). I wanted one for ages until the Tamron came out and messed up my priorities. Big Grin

Yeah, but did you buy the Tamron at the end?

Quote:Maybe the old Sigma 85/1.4 is an option too... (by far not as large/heavy as the Art). I wanted one for ages until the Tamron came out and messed up my priorities. Big Grin
The old Sigma 85mm f1.4 has about the DOF as the Canon 85mm f1.8 USM. Also, it has also very strong LoCA like the Canon 85mm f1.8 STM. It lacks the Canon's low weight and fast AF.

The Csnon is a better idea, and the Tarmon a way better idea.

Quote:Yeah, but did you buy the Tamron at the end?
Nope, but only because I have hit a financial rough spot and had to refrain from buying gear altogether (for the foreseeable future, at the very least). The only purchase of this year was the cheap Canon 24-85 lens.