Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now guess what ...
... the Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS that I purchased for testing is ... yeaaaahhh ... heavily decentered.  :wacko:

I'll have to do a relaxing test next - the Oly 75/1.8. I should stay away from this image stabilized crap for a while. Which reminds me that I should do some Zeiss ZE testing on Canon full format.

Hoi Klaus,

Could you pls upload a couple of photos to see in practise how this heavily decentering looks like?

cheers!

samven

Quote:... the Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS that I purchased for testing is ... yeaaaahhh ... heavily decentered.  :wacko:

I'll have to do a relaxing test next - the Oly 75/1.8. I should stay away from this image stabilized crap for a while. Which reminds me that I should do some Zeiss ZE testing on Canon full format.
Quote:... the Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS that I purchased for testing is ... yeaaaahhh ... heavily decentered.  :wacko:

Like the new 135mm f2 APO, and the 35mm f1.4?

There is also the new Voigtlander 28mm SL II pancake which seems to render really nicely (but of course has huge light fall off towards the corners on FF, being wide angle and pancake).

I'm about to buy a Tamron 18-270 (Sony A-Mount) and the above does make me feel a little better. It's a bit annoying to pay the same as Canon and Nikon users and get a lens which does not include the stabilizer, but at least I can comfort myself in the somewhat lower chance of decentering (and possibly better longevity down the road).
Quote:Hoi Klaus,

Could you pls upload a couple of photos to see in practise how this heavily decentering looks like?

cheers!

samven

Well, this Sony E 35 OSS has the 'simple' type:

http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...ity-check/

This will show up as low contrast at large apertures and blurred edge transitions to one specific direction (just as illustrated).

The other one (e.g. in the recent E 10-18 OSS) is a left-right issue - sharp right image side, blurred left image side (it affects mostly these sides because of the non-square image format). Technically the focus plane is not perpendicular to the sensor but tilted.The center can be mostly fine here.
Quote:I'm about to buy a Tamron 18-270 (Sony A-Mount) and the above does make me feel a little better. It's a bit annoying to pay the same as Canon and Nikon users and get a lens which does not include the stabilizer, but at least I can comfort myself in the somewhat lower chance of decentering (and possibly better longevity down the road).

This lens has a 15x zoom ratio. Or in other words - any centering defect present at 18mm (center) will be magnified by this factor (plus minus a little) at 270mm.

I would not assiciate a 18-270mm lens with longevity ...
Quote:This lens has a 15x zoom ratio. Or in other words - any centering defect present at 18mm (center) will be magnified by this factor (plus minus a little) at 270mm.

I don't expect this lens to be perfectly free from decentering, but I guess it should be somewhat better in this regard than the stabilized version (which uses a mechanism that deliberately moves groups off-center). Don't you think?

Quote:I would not assiciate a 18-270mm lens with longevity ...

The lens should last 5 years, after which I'll probably sell it and upgrade to something more up to date. If anything breaks earlier it would be very disappointing.
Quote:I don't expect this lens to be perfectly free from decentering, but I guess it should be somewhat better in this regard than the stabilized version (which uses a mechanism that deliberately moves groups off-center). Don't you think?

The lens should last 5 years, after which I'll probably sell it and upgrade to something more up to date. If anything breaks earlier it would be very disappointing.

Depends on usage, less so years. 
Can you swap it?

Or maybe it's time for more legacy tests on NEX... Summicron anyone?  Smile

Quote:Can you swap it?

Or maybe it's time for more legacy tests on NEX... Summicron anyone?  Smile

Well, the dealer where I purchased the lens (Cambuy) said that they will only take responsibility for obvious mechanical failures but not for optical defects. I don't know how many hundred lenses I have tested over the years but I cannot remember a single "mechanical" outage during that time. Markus had one I think.

Anyway, this is a pity since they'll loose a potential five digit revenue figure with this statement but such is life.