Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Sony A6000 be good as a walkaround lens ?
I am considering Sony A6000 plus 16-50 as walkaround lens to keep in my car all the time, no I am not moving Sony, but this one is tiny, and seems to have a very decent sensor.

My priorities: Small size:OK

Good sensor :OK

My other questions: How does the viewfinder function in low light, is it as good as 7Dmkii live view or it will become black when light is low like 750D ?

How is autofocus speed ?

Does it need time to get used to are important functions like ISO, metering mode, AF points selection hidden deeply in menus ??

Is it quite easy to select AF points while looking in viewfinder?

Is the EVF a decent one ?

For videos can it track good enough like 7D dual pixel AF if I am shooting my always active daughter ?
The 16-50 is a bit shit. The A6000 is nice.

If you don't intend to switch lenses - why not the Pana LX100?

Tony,

generally speaking the answer is yes. The main pitfall of the EVF is its reduced resolution (even inferior to the one of the NEX-6); this might be a problem if one wants go manually focus (for me, it is: I've bought the a6300 precisely to fix this problem; while the 6300 is better for many respects, the main one to me is the good EVF resolution). For what concerns the performance of low light... it depends on the level of lowness. I like EVFs a lot over OVF, no doubts; one of their most difficult cases is low light with high contrast (e.g. shadows in an alley, with a portion of bright sky). You can arrange things: e.g. temporarily increasing exposure, so the sky is burned out, but you can see the shadow, just for composition; once composition is ok, you fix the exposure. With extremely low light you can have noise, and reduced refresh speed. The best thing, of course, would be - if possible - if you can have a dealer to let you try one in the shop, perhaps asking him for being able to try in a dark corner.

For all the rest, be safe: the commands you mentioned can be activated easily with a few buttons. The camera also offers a good level of customisation with function keys.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
If I am shooting an exposure of let's say f5.6 10 seconds at ISO 100 will the viewfinder be black or I will be able to compose ? With 750D it will be black, with 7D mkii I have exposure simulation, ok there's a lot of noise on the camera LCD but who cares ? As long as I can compose and it isn't in the final image
You can choose between having the exposure simulation or not. If not, EVF will always be as if you're shooting with no exposure compensation on AUTO. Which means it'll always be bright whatever settings you have and whatever the lighting condition is. 

The only way to make the EVF go dark is to turn the exposure simulation on and dial in some settings to make the exposure go dark. Like -5EV exposure compensation or just silly manual settings.

You can change anything with minimum button press on A6000 but you have to read the manual and set up the camera first. Don't expect to find a button that says ISO or PRESS TO CHANGE FOCUS POINT. Set those up first.

EVF is not the best you can get but it works. The real letdown is the lenses. 

I would take a Pana GX80 + 12-32  (about the same price as Sony A6000 + 16-50) and add a Pana 20/f1.7.

Much more fun.

The Sony comes with the faulty Sony RAW compression, with buit in artifact generator. So, with that and the shitty lens, why mention "the good sensor"?

I would have got MFT if it were available here,