Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D IF (FX)
The macro feature is a nice bonus. Apart from that, the lens did not really impress.

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/77...rafd2485ff

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

I wonder if Nikon will consider to upgrade this lens some day. The lens has two nice features which do not exist for the new 24-85mm and also the 24-120mm: 1:2 macro ability, and the f/2.8-4 maximum aperture.

Markus: will you also test the Nikkor 28-105mm and the AF-D 80-200mm lenses?

Frank

Whoa, what have we here! I remember using this lens for awhile on a D70 (both the lens and the body weren't mine but rather belonged to my paper). It's the only Nikkor I ever used (the other Nikon mount lenses the paper had were a couple of crummy low-end Sigmas, and before long, they switched to Canon altogether). Can't say I have any really fond memories of it, but nice to see an old lens like that being dug up sometime. Pity that it's of such p*ss poor quality after all...

Quote:I wonder if Nikon will consider to upgrade this lens some day. The lens has two nice features which do not exist for the new 24-85mm and also the 24-120mm: 1:2 macro ability, and the f/2.8-4 maximum aperture.

Markus: will you also test the Nikkor 28-105mm and the AF-D 80-200mm lenses?

Frank
The current one is not much slower, so there's hardly a point to release another one (besides, there's a 24-120 lens). OK this lens is fast but the IQ really seems mediocre until stopped way down, especially at 85mm (the "good" rating here at photozone really seems to mean something pretty blurry in real life, VG/Excellent are the only ratings that seem to deliver the IQ I would consider worthwhile).

By the way Markus - any plans to review the 24-85/3.5-4.5 non-VR? The DX review seemed favourable (but then again, the 10MP DX sensor seemed much kinder to the /2.8-4 version as well, even in the center...)

Thanks for the review, Markus. The IQ is not very impressive indeed...

If you're interested in testing the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 I can ship mine to you.  Just let me know Smile

Cheers!

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:If you're interested in testing the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 I can ship mine to you.  Just let me know Smile
Thanks, but I already own one myself Smile

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com