Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Micro Nikkor AF-S DX 40mm f/2.8 G
Currently the most affordable AF macro lens for Nikon 1 (not taking the FT-1 adapter into account, however):

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon1/771-afs4028gv1

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I just bought it, looks very good indeed, I still have to find out what is the best subject to shoot.... I small can I go with this lens.... any suggestions?

You buy a lens and after that then think about what you can shoot with? Interesting concept. Maybe I should try that too Big Grin oops, I already did. Couple of times, because the fun part is to discover what else the lens can do.

Seriously, you can go down to 1:1 - but you can shoot anything bigger as well, because it really is amazingly sharp given it's price and plasticky appearance.

Two suggestions: You can go with it into very narrow spaces no other macro lens could go in - models of landscapes, buildings, miniature railways, model cars, try that.

You can also go very close and still get a pretty huge depth of field - impossible for longer focal lengths.

And you can use it as a normal lens and walk around. Try it for an afternoon and just go as close as you like. Take a torch with you - even in daylight. If your camera has a tilt/swivel display (like D5100, 5200, 5300) use it for bug perspectives.

I started to do some experiments and I have to say that it is an excellent lens, up to now I just used the lens which came along with the camera, but with this one the definition is beautiful to me. I dont thing I can shoot small insects but for portraits and flowers I'm convinced I can do grat pictures...... to be continued...

I love that lens, and use it just as often with my Nikon 1 cameras, as with my D600. I know it is officially a DX lens, but at least DxO Optics Pro corrects its optical flaws excellently, like the vignetting! Note that I use it in FX mode, not DX!

Small, cheap and sharp! If only all lenses were like that!

Quote:I love that lens, and use it just as often with my Nikon 1 cameras, as with my D600. I know it is officially a DX lens, but at least DxO Optics Pro corrects its optical flaws excellently, like the vignetting! Note that I use it in FX mode, not DX!

Small, cheap and sharp! If only all lenses were like that!
Yeah, I read somewhere else that this lens works pretty nicely on full frame! Very nice little lens indeed.
Quote:Yeah, I read somewhere else that this lens works pretty nicely on full frame! Very nice little lens indeed.
I had planned to buy the Voigtlander 40/2.8, but Micro-Nikkor 40/2.8 works just as well! 
Quote:I had planned to buy the Voigtlander 40/2.8, but Micro-Nikkor 40/2.8 works just as well! 
Voigtlander 40mm f2 Wink
Quote:Voigtlander 40mm f2 Wink
Oops! Even better B)  !