Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Laowa 9mm f/2.8 ...
... is here for testing. Cute little lens.

I saw that posted on Facebook. Have you become their favourite review site so they're selling you advance samples - because it didn't look like the lens is already in mass circulation? And is it a dedicated mirrorless lens, or there are DSLR versions as well?

Quote:I saw that posted on Facebook. Have you become their favourite review site so they're selling you advance samples - because it didn't look like the lens is already in mass circulation? And is it a dedicated mirrorless lens, or there are DSLR versions as well?
It is a "mirrorless" (flange distance) APS-C lens. 

There is a 12mm FF DSLR version, and a 7.5mm MFT version.

Yeah, and like typically for Laowa: No EXIF data are given to the camera, not a single contact transferring aperture, focal length, not to mention distance. No wonder they can be that cheap.

Quote:I saw that posted on Facebook. Have you become their favourite review site so they're selling you advance samples - because it didn't look like the lens is already in mass circulation? And is it a dedicated mirrorless lens, or there are DSLR versions as well?

Well, they offered it so why should I deny that? I think they have a variety of reviewers at hand - some with formal test procedures and the usual halleluja folks (aka influencers) where everything is good anyway. It's what every company is doing anyway.

It's an APS-C mirrorless lens.
Quote:Yeah, and like typically for Laowa: No EXIF data are given to the camera, not a single contact transferring aperture, focal length, not to mention distance. No wonder they can be that cheap.

That's how Samyang started as well ... and they are on the way into the mainstream now. It takes a (long) while. 

However, manual focus lenses just don't work out anymore beyond 35mm (FF) - from my perspective at least.  That doesn't just apply to Laowa but across the manual focus gang (Samyang, Zeiss, Voigtlander plus the exotics).

Regarding EXIF data - personally I couldn't care less - I can't remember having ever looked into EXIF data other than within the scope of the tests.

However, I wouldn't say that Laowa lenses are cheap. Honestly I think their price tag is too high. That's not so much regarding their technical qualities but I think they'll have a hard time penetrating the market at these price levels. But maybe that's how they balance their production capabilities (and costs) with demand - I don't know.

FWIW, I told them that they should focus on slow speed, ultra-wide pancakes. If a lens is slow, manual focusing is a lesser issue (DoF) and many people don't want to carry big and heavy ultra-wides. And pancakes are obvious choices in mirrorless land.

I do care about EXIF because I sometimes want to find picture, taken with a wide angle, wide open and close up. So I need focal length, aperture and distance.

Except of the latter (which is not available in my converters from Fuji, but from Nikon), I can usually find these kind of pictures quickly. To me that's an advantage of digital photography. And I don't want to go back to film with no data at all.

Regarding price I found there wide angle + shift macro well priced at first. Then, with  bit more insight in poor mechanical design, not very well thought features and the absence oF EXIF I also can agree with you. For what the lenses are, they became expensive. 

Quote:Well, they offered it so why should I deny that? I think they have a variety of reviewers at hand - some with formal test procedures and the usual halleluja folks (aka influencers) where everything is good anyway. It's what every company is doing anyway.

It's an APS-C mirrorless lens.
Hey, I'm not critical in the slightest. If they're willing to do that - and take hints from you in the meantime - the user base cannot be anything but happy.
Quote:I do care about EXIF because I sometimes want to find picture, taken with a wide angle, wide open and close up. So I need focal length, aperture and distance.

Except of the latter (which is not available in my converters from Fuji, but from Nikon), I can usually find these kind of pictures quickly. To me that's an advantage of digital photography. And I don't want to go back to film with no data at all.

Regarding price I found there wide angle + shift macro well priced at first. Then, with  bit more insight in poor mechanical design, not very well thought features and the absence oF EXIF I also can agree with you. For what the lenses are, they became expensive. 

Where did you read something about "poor mechanical design"? I do not disassemble the lenses (given my related talents - or lack thereof - I wouldn't dare to do so anyway) but they "feel" very sturdy to me.

Their biggest weakness - other than the lack of electronics - is flare - so far at least.
Quote:Where did you read something about "poor mechanical design"?

Don't need to read, I saw it for myself when I disassembled the 15/4 Macro "shift". There are a couple of design decisions you don't do if you want to have happy customers. The mount is not well made, needs two times a push on the mount release button. The shift lock doesn't lock, shift itself has 3 positions and the lever is flimsy at best and so on. Can't judge about optical design, but mechanical it's bronce age. lens hood is a new record in cheap mould making. Automatic diaphragm? clickstop aperture? Nope. No one will talk me back to Laowa.