Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lab Test Results: Sigma 135mm f/1.8 HSM DG ART
Quote:Well, 135mm is not my thing but let's see what I can produce.

Fortunately Sydney will be helping me a little with this ... https://www.vividsydney.com/

Most important enjoy it, if you don't enjoy the show and don't see the beauty how can you transmit it ?
Well, Vivid Syd is certainly good for bubble making ... 

It's damn dark though - even for a f/1.8 lens.

bokehlicious.

Interestingly, the distance doesn't matter much in terms of bokeh? Okay, foreground bulbs are smaller but in the background it appears either on or off to show some lamps.

A few days ago I saw this lens out in the wild. In Nikon mount though.

For Nikon it's more necessary than for Canon. Wink  The only 135mm Nikon is the 135mm f/2 D AF DC-NIKKOR version, and when I was looking at that, there was a movie coming up "80 years of Nikon lenses"... I'm really tempted, but I will sleep a couple of nights about it. It's also another kilogramm glass.

Do you like the DC feature though? Still a very beautiful lens otherwise but I never found it to be particularly a breathtaking effect.

Never used that lens. I have a Fujinon 56/1.2 APD. Soon on sale, because the downsides (only CDAF) make it, although beautifully creamy bokeh, nearly useless in dark situations. The DC is something similar? But it's independent from the aperture, no? There's a separate DC ring.

Don't know about it's AF, the Sigma is very fast. I first thought, MFD of the Sigma is surprisingly short (87.5 cm), but Canon is also 0.9 m, so equal. However, doing portrait with this lens would be a new experiece for me, i always used 85 mm. And I'm not sure: usually there's a reason if a popular FL is only covered by a lens out of film camera's last year's era?
 Good review of a new flagship lens!

Lenstip came to similar conclusions............other video reviews stated the AF was spot on......unlike the 85mm version.

This is somewhat tempting, as it seems to address the problems I had with the 135/2L which I have since sold on. I have a contact which can get me Sigma at below retail pricing, but can I get used to such a short focal length again? Even passed on a 200/1.8L as a bit short.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:This is somewhat tempting, as it seems to address the problems I had with the 135/2L which I have since sold on. I have a contact which can get me Sigma at below retail pricing, but can I get used to such a short focal length again? Even passed on a 200/1.8L as a bit short.
Haha, short indeed. What do you use the narrow FOV for?