Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax Q - first lens test
I'm currently working on the 8.5mm f/1.9 lens test for Pentax Q.

The LW/PH scale is, of course, reduced. The maximum resolution is about "good to very good" compared to the Sony A700 which has the same amount of megapixels. The images are generally quite soft compared to what we are used to from the APS-C/MFT sensor league.
I guess you will have to test a few compact cameras to have data to compare with.

A.
There's only one other camera with 1/2.x sensor and interchangeable lenses (sort of) - the Ricoh GXR with P10 module. It would be nice to see a comparison between it and the Pentax Q.
I wonder how it compares to the large sensor compacts such as the s90/s100 or olympus zx-1 (which is said to have a very good lens).
As good as Pentax may be at squeezing IQ out of Sony sensors, we can't expect Q lens resolution tests to be anything surprising. It would be more interesting to hear your field report on the Q system and see some images. You mentioned in another thread that you liked it alot on your recent trip, that was more interesting to hear.
[quote name='dave9t5' timestamp='1320529952' post='12706']

As good as Pentax may be at squeezing IQ out of Sony sensors, we can't expect Q lens resolution tests to be anything surprising. It would be more interesting to hear your field report on the Q system and see some images. You mentioned in another thread that you liked it alot on your recent trip, that was more interesting to hear.

[/quote]

Yes, we liked it. However, according to the lens test results we made an error. We should have avoided f/5.6 because that's already the point where diffraction has a drastic impact. f/4 would have been a better idea.

This makes you somehow wonder about those "toy" lenses. Ok, just toys but at 18mm f/8 there is not much quality left actually.

Anyway, if I can find the time (reads: if the NEX7 is delayed) I will post a field report.
I feel these lenses should be compared to comparable size sensors, so Nikon One, XZ-1, P7100, cANON 100? ETC§
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1320569484' post='12708']

.... We should have avoided f/5.6 because that's already the point where diffraction has a drastic impact. f/4 would have been a better idea......

[/quote]

..... Q is surely a QT, but i like f/22 too ....
[quote name='anyscreenamewilldo' timestamp='1320585411' post='12711']

..... Q is surely QT, but i like f/22 too ....

[/quote]

Oh well, you got f/22 on the Q. It's just called f/4. ;-)
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1320574723' post='12709']

I feel these lenses should be compared to comparable size sensors, so Nikon One, XZ-1, P7100, cANON 100? ETC§

[/quote]

Price-wise this is a system camera just like MFT, NEX, Nikkor 1 and NX.