Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony 24mpx DX sensor IQ
Has anyone processed these RAWs and compared them with other cameras?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA77/AA77A7.HTM
[quote name='Tiz' timestamp='1314347073' post='11035']

Has anyone processed these RAWs and compared them with other cameras?

[url="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA77/AA77A7.HTM"]http://www.imaging-r...AA77/AA77A7.HTM[/url]

[/quote]

Well, the provided RAWs were processed with the Sony converter I guess. The converter produces quite sharp results actually on the NEX so I reckon we are now seeing the 77 potential here for the better or worse.

Looking at the center portion the quality seems reasonably good to me (ISO 200 RAW).

The higher ISO stuff looks smeared - no idea whether this is because of NR by the converter or the sensor though.

They haven't used the sharpest lens for this. In any case - no surprises regarding the effective resolution - 24mp are simply a borderline thing for most lenses.

FWIW, the NEX7 will be a tad sharper due to the missing mirror. That's also something that we've seen in our local tests with the A33 vs NEX5.
that person with the name too long for words above said he'd make no more comments on this ... understandably . . . so might i just add a few short words -

#1. i'm with Bc on most of this, which is not uncommon ... and he gets such bad press here at times ... so am i keeping bad company ...

- but i will take a look at the camera as i have lenses to suit ... maybe ... we'll see -

& #2. i'd like to know how some of these sites who claim to know everything manage to come up with such badly shot samples - i mean the backs of peoples heads, come on - and miss plastic for the raw samples, a 3D designers nightmare, are there no real people on staff - or even a photographer - anyone who has seen the sun maybe?

... so no at least this person has not tried to process any raw files he has unfortunately seen so far, so sorry,

... solong
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1314350227' post='11036']

...The higher ISO stuff looks smeared - no idea whether this is because of NR by the converter or the sensor though...

FWIW, the NEX7 will be a tad sharper due to the missing mirror. That's also something that we've seen in our local tests with the A33 vs NEX5.[/quote]

I hope it's not another one of those in-camera mandatory RAW NR thing again.

I am surprised to hear about the slight resolution loss with the introduction of the partial mirror.
[quote name='thw' timestamp='1314406583' post='11070']

I hope it's not another one of those in-camera mandatory RAW NR thing again.

I am surprised to hear about the slight resolution loss with the introduction of the partial mirror.

[/quote]

Well, it's another layer between the sensor and the lens.

It's not overly significant though and the recent Sony APS-C cameras had a weak AA filter.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1314346515' post='11032']

There is the odd limitation of the aperture and/or exposure time settings one can do with the high FPS modes, which is done because closing the aperture for each shot would mess up the live view stream. So... do you have a nice 70-200mm f2.8 sports lens? Though, can't shoot it wide open. Camera sets it to f3.5. Or want to use that nice 85mm f1.8 for indoors sports? Tough! 85mm f3.5 is what you get. Want to shoot at f7.1 in sports mode? Can't be done. Camera will select aperture and exposure time for you. For me, it would not be a problem as I do not use/need a high FPS mode for my shooting at the moment. But when the need arises, no A77 for me, thanks.

[/quote]

You have full access to exposure control with 8 fps, which is still among the fastest for APSC cameras. 12 fps is just another bonus.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1314346515' post='11032']

And then there is the mirror which at least in the A55v and A33 introduces ghost lights in night photography with light sources in the scene. A77 is too new to have seen examples of that yet, but I am betting they still will show up. Maybe not, maybe Sony has some anti-reflective new trick up its sleeve with this new generation.

And the closed sensor compartment + SSS + live view gave the A55v and A33 more heat up problems than other DSLRs. Maybe the A77 has cooling measures which make that a problem of the past?

[/quote]

Sony claims the new coating has resolved ghosting issue with A65/A77.

Neither A77 nor A65 overheat according the dpreview. Both can record 29-minute of video.
[quote name='Sathe Wild' timestamp='1314435038' post='11074']

Sony claims the new coating has resolved ghosting issue with A65/A77.

Neither A77 nor A65 overheat according the dpreview. Both can record 29-minute of video.

[/quote]

I have never seen the ghostings in the ca. 1000 images that I took with the A33.

They do exist for sure but frankly ...
First head-to-head high ISO comparison:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3802/which-...-7-and-a77

Just as I thought, only average result by today´s standards. But look at 5n results! OMG, that 16mpx should have been put in A77/NEX7 bodies (to my likes...)
[quote name='Martin_MM' timestamp='1314481307' post='11088']

First head-to-head high ISO comparison:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3802/which-...-7-and-a77

Just as I thought, only average result by today´s standards. But look at 5n results! OMG, that 16mpx should have been put in A77/NEX7 bodies (to my likes...)

[/quote]

You can't lump together A77/NEX7 like that. A77 would be 1/2 stop behind Nex-7. Besides, these are jpegs from pre-production model of A77.

Wait for dxomark score. Nex-7 will rank higher than Nex-5n.