Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenstip reviews the Sigma 135mm F1.8 record breaking results!
  Hi guys,

The mouthwatering new Sigma 135mm F1.8 portrait lens has been tested by Lenstip and the results are staggering with new sharpness records pretty much across the frame. 

Everything else is up to par too!

http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=ob...est_ob=501

Amazing results indeed. Beats pretty much anything else out there.

However, it's a brick.

There is no free lunch I suppose :-)

--Florent

Flickr gallery
I believe, this is the straight link to the test of that lens. There will be newer tests following and in a couple of months one needs to scroll a lot.

I really wonder why Sigma didn't put some tripod collar into the package. But then, the Nikon 14-24 has also none and so far all mounts remained in place.

Compared to the 35/1.4 I'm a bit surprised the brick is not brickier.  Huh Meaning, I was expecting worse.

Edit:
Quote:Sample shots outside were a bit a different story as I used side points of autofocus quite often. I didn’t notice any big mistakes but, with a shallow depth of field by f/1.8-2.0, even a small slip-up might be annoying.

That might be the most weakness of this lens on a DSLR - the tolerances of the AF modules of the cameras. A slight misalignment and the outer focus points will produce soft pictures wide open due to AF inaccuracy. Shooting LiveView? Good luck - the time until LV switches to recording so many things can happen...
Even renders pretty nicely. 

Now I can see clearly the new trend, lenses that have better MFT, and score better in reviews, everyone reads a review now before buying a lens, which is not a bad thing, however this is driving more and more people on paying money for things they don't need and will never use.

How many will make prints big enough for the difference to show ?Remember such result are taken with the lens on tripod, what shutter speed should be used to have the same results handheld? Can the camera Xsync handle it ? Remember it's a portrait lens.

This lens has plenty of potential for which you will pay dearly not only in price but also in weight to carry, that potential you won't be able to exploit.

A stabilized 70-200f2.8 makes much more sense here IMHO

Keep in mind that reviews are like bikinis, they show so many things yet hide the essential
Quote:...How many will make prints big enough for the difference to show ?...

Wrong question. How many people will occasionally be happy to crop in fantastic quality?