Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ Lens Test Report: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED AS (APS-C)
[quote name='Alexander ' date='19 July 2010 - 11:39 PM' timestamp='1279575592' post='1137']

It works well with the 85mm 1.4, so I would assume it does with the 14mm 2.8 as well.

[/quote]

Ok, thank you for that information. Much appreciated!

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
[quote name='Klaus' date='19 July 2010 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1279562695' post='1131']

The question may be whether it's really wide enough for APS-C.[/quote]

Exactly.
[quote name='Yakim' date='20 July 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1279612650' post='1144']

Exactly.

[/quote]

It depends on what you used before. Me, never been wider than 18mm before, 14mm is definitly wide-angle. There is a lot to include in the picture and the typical wide angle distortion by prespective is easily visible. In addition, I can completely confirm Klaus findings: this lens is very sharp even wide open and distortion can be corrected without problems on APS-C. This is just a great lens that will stay in my bag pretty much forever until something distinctly better is available for the same price or I can justify paying more for a lens with extended possibilites (e.g. for the 14-24mm, in this case, with AF-S and zoom capability).

Chris
If 22mm FoV is wide enough for you, that's great. That said, there are so many UWA APS-C zoom options that go both wider and longer that it's hard for me to believe that many APS-C users will opt for this lens.

Of course, if you have both APS-C and FF it makes perfect sense.
[quote name='Yakim' date='20 July 2010 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1279627688' post='1162']

If 22mm FoV is wide enough for you, that's great. That said, there are so many UWA APS-C zoom options that go both wider and longer that it's hard for me to believe that many APS-C users will opt for this lens.

Of course, if you have both APS-C and FF it makes perfect sense.

[/quote]

Depends a lot on what you want it for. I want it for astro photography. Not many 14mm alternatives then with a maximum aperture of f/2.8. Even less with this sharpness.
Tokina 11-16/2.8 might answer that.
[quote name='Yakim' date='20 July 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1279634088' post='1165']

Tokina 11-16/2.8 might answer that.

[/quote]

Much more expensive, and not for Pentax. Also, it has much more chromatic aberration, but of course, that can be fixed in raw conversion.

You should use the reply button right below the post, not at the bottom to get it as a reply to the post you're replying to.
[quote name='Alexander ' date='20 July 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1279634637' post='1166']

Much more expensive, and not for Pentax. Also, it has much more chromatic aberration, but of course, that can be fixed in raw conversion.[/quote]

Price is a bit of a personal issue. Speaking only for myself I can only say that despite being far from wealthy I'd gladly pay more for a much more versatile lens (AF, wider, longer). Naturally, this is as the FF issue is not relevant to me.

Pentax? Well, I didn't know you are in Pentax. As a Pentax user your options are indeed more limited and this lens starts to make more sense.

[quote name='Alexander ' date='20 July 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1279634637' post='1166']

You should use the reply button right below the post, not at the bottom to get it as a reply to the post you're replying to.[/quote]

I sometimes do that and sometimes the other. As both options are available, why shouldn't I use the one I please?
[quote name='Yakim' date='21 July 2010 - 07:14 AM' timestamp='1279692884' post='1178']

I sometimes do that and sometimes the other. As both options are available, why shouldn't I use the one I please?

[/quote]

The forum software also offers a threaded view which many users seem to prefer (you can enable it in the forum settings of your account). The two buttons behave differently regarding sorting, one adds your message as a direct reply to the message you answered to (adds to existing sub-thread), the other one as a reply to the first post (starts a new sub-thread)

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I have yet to see any sub-thread in this forum's new format. I thus probably haven't enable it nor - I must add - do I feel any need to. What will I gain if I do so?