Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There was a mail server issue ...
Well, I did nothing and now emails are coming... Perhaps some delay - or perhaps the server restart fixed something?
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Auto login not working, I have to login every time I use the forum
(03-03-2018, 08:18 AM)toni-a Wrote: Auto login not working, I have to login every time I use the forum

Hmmh, works for me at least ...

You do have checked the "remember me" box?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I also have to log in too often, even though I'm ticked in to remain on line.......and I'm receiving emails even though I've not ticked for them.

Teething problems no doubt.........
Regarding the emailing of threads

You have to go to the user CP (at the top where your login is displayed).
Then select the gear to the left.
Then edit options -> Messaging and Notification -> Do not subscribe -> save

Honestly I was also a little surprised about the emails that I received.
Appartently the method is set during registration but for migrated users it seems to be activated.

Wasn't activated for me which is the setting i prefer by default. Btw i'm a bit confused by the choice in this software. The software used by anandtech and hardforum seem much cleaner (page layout) and much faster.
-
Also why are you running windows ?
(03-04-2018, 12:56 AM)you2 Wrote: Wasn't activated for me  which is the setting i prefer by default. Btw i'm a bit confused by the choice in this software. The software used by anandtech and hardforum seem much cleaner (page layout) and much faster.
-
Also why are you running windows ?

The forum is running on Ubuntu. The main site is running on Windows Server.

About the speed - the forum seems plenty fast to me and I'm living in the industrialized country with the lowest internet speeds ... (and the server is in Germany).
I'm somewhat puzzled myself why the main portal is so slow. The windows server is mightily strong and sees barely any load. 
Both sites are delivered via a CDN (Cloudflare).

Why windows on the main site? Well, while I can handle Linux the usability is generally ... crap.
IIS is much easier to configure than Apache HTTP where how-to-configs are communicated as if they reside in the land of myths and legends and the only way to access them is by defeating an army of orcs. Some people enjoy such text adventures, I don't.

Maybe it is just latency. I'm in usa and cloudfare probably doesn't add much for forum performance. Also not sure if cloudfare does as much tcp/www optimization as akamai (i know akamai is probably excessively expensive for a site such as this one so i'm not recommending them due to cost). I don't really agree with your comments on ubuntu and apache but i will just take it as a matter of opinion and familiarity and not something to be argued.
I think you still have a mail server issue. It took me this long to reset my password. Most of the time even the password reset link won't make it (maybe 1 out of 10 times it does) but even then, the actual resetted password never appeared in my inbox (or spam, yes I checked). It finally worked today, after 10 tries or so.