Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lots of new Sigma lenses (9) for Sony FE
(03-16-2018, 10:52 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Today I got a reply from the local Sigma import company. Prices for mount conversions.

They range from 100.- / 250.- / 400.- Swiss francs. Some of the conversions can be done at the dealer's service workshop, others will have to go to Aizu.

I think, it's great news. Okay, I don't switch systems every day, but Sony does have interesting bodies these days. I own 8 lenses from Sigma and having their mounts converted actually will save me some loss which I would have if I try to sell them second hand. Currently I'm talking about 1/3 or 1/2 of the price I paid when it was new. And even if it's only a fixed MC11 adapter:

1. there's no MC-11 for Nikon > Sony
  2. if I buy genuine Sony lenses one day, it would be such a fuss to change lenses and and adapters
  3. One MC-11 costs 250.- francs - so most mount conversions won't be more expensive than this, plus the lenses get cleaned, tested and if necessary adjusted within the process.
To me, that makes Sigma lenses an investment, I welcome this decision away from "throw-away-and-get-something-new" mentality. I'm not free of it, but I prefer it that way.

If you're contemplating a switch to ML and don't mind their rather large sizes it makes sense. This is assuming the AF will work well.

The biggest benefit will be the end of  AF inaccuracies and lengthy calibrations :-) I read Sony's eye AF does wonders. I'm quite curious about it.

If you switch to Sony, I'd be interested in your take compared to Fuji in terms of ergonomics and fun.
That's what I love about Fuji: somehow I enjoy shooting with it much more than any other system I used before (Pentax, Nikon, Oly, Pany).
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Eye AF on mirrorless is a killer feature along with AF accuracy and need for calibration, I am not the only one who wants, it's now clear Canon and Nikon won't be just watching their users jumping ships, so it's obvious you won't need to get Sony to have them very soon, so mount conversion won't be that popular anymore
So, your crystal ball knows more than all others, right? I'd say, by the time the first rumors of a Nikon mirrorless become real, I'd also be finished with all lenses converted. You have no idea how attracted I am by just the idea of charging batteries of a mirrorless body (no matter which brand) by just using a normal USB charger. Or having two instead of one battery in a well made instead a wobbly battery grip. Which, btw can be used for all a7... bodies, take that, Nikon!

Nikon is good at lenses. But some Sony glass might be better than Nikon (and more expensive, too). Nikon also used to be good with their optical view finders, mirror boxes and even the AF phase detection modules. Which mirroless needs any of these things?

And while there is a conversion service from Sigma from F- to E-mount, it will take some time until the same Sigma lenses will become available or ready for conversion from F- to whatever mount.

And who tells me (meaning: can make a reliable prediction) about quality, design and ergonomics of a Nikon mirrorless? This toni-a dude? I just don't think so Big Grin

While Sony already learnt by their mistakes, Canon or Nikon will start from scratch, have to come up with adapters or a limited selection of lenses. None of these options is attractive to me. After that, I'd have to wait until the next RAW format gets supported.

It's pretty easy to make a stament like yours, toni-a. The kinky parts are in the details...
Sony heard you and told me to remind you that the most recent bodies (A9, A7RIII and A7III) actually have a different battery than the older models. That bumps the number of bodies Sony uses in their interchangable lens cameras to... 3.

Infolithium M is only used by A99 and A77 (I think) now. Those three models mentioned above have the new one and all the rest have Infolithium W.

Fun fact: My Cybershot S75 compact from 2003 also uses Infolithium M series batteries. So if I wanted to revive it, I can buy a brand new battery right now and it'll be fine.
(03-16-2018, 02:57 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: It's pretty easy to make a stament like yours, toni-a. The kinky parts are in the details...

Well Nikon and Canon themselves promised mirrorless bodies, theoretically adapters should be nothing but extension tubes, IMHO what might be lacking is automatic focus peaking, how would the camera know you are rotating focus ring in manual focus ?
Maybe you try for yourself before you post rather stupid "humble opinions": Focus peaking is the only focus aid which works well for manual focus lenses, adapted or not. Extension tubes do extend the lens for focusing closer distance, hence the name. Adapters don't.
Before assuming it's a stupid post, focus peaking does work on manual focus lenses yes, however, for native Sony lenses, even if you are on manual focus when you rotate focus ring the camera automatically switches to focus peaking with non electronic lenses you have to press focus peaking button yourself.
As for the adapter, since it's a canon-canon, it's only job is to transmit electronic signals and increase flange distance so it's construction is the same as an extension tube, although it will not act like an extension tube
(03-16-2018, 12:07 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: If you're contemplating a switch to ML and don't mind their rather large sizes it makes sense. This is assuming the AF will work well.

The biggest benefit will be the end of  AF inaccuracies and lengthy calibrations :-) I read Sony's eye AF does wonders. I'm quite curious about it.

If you switch to Sony, I'd be interested in your take compared to Fuji in terms of ergonomics and fun.
That's what I love about Fuji: somehow I enjoy shooting with it much more than any other system I used before (Pentax, Nikon, Oly, Pany).

Sorry for not replying, I was distracted by tonic's reply.

How could I complain about their sizes? These won't increase much by adding the distance they need for mirrorless. Also, I'm more afraid of the weird proportions between lens and body - so, a battery grip is a sure thing to buy. I never bought mirrorless because of smaller sizes, and compared to a D850 a lot of cameras appear smaller (like a GFX50...).

I'm not in a hurry and there's nothing I could do better or easier with a switch today, but I want to do a couple of cycling trips this year. Every time I had the Fuji with me, the pictures were good, but I missed the details I can see in FF. Going Sony is one scenario I could imagine to improve that situation - and being able to use one charger for the camera as well as for an iPad for sure is a plus, also to use a power bank. I'm not going into wilderness.

But 4 years ago I went to Lithuania and Kaliningrad and cycled there. Had a D800 with me and only two spare batteries. And a GPS-1 (super rubbish, battery eating Nikon accessory). Now, the D850 is consuming much more power, so out of discussion.

I understand a bit what you mean with "more fun", but I have some complaints about the Fujis. And in terms of high quality results, no Fuji APS comes close to D850.

(03-17-2018, 04:43 AM)toni-a Wrote: Before assuming it's a stupid post, focus peaking does work on manual focus lenses yes, however, for native Sony lenses, even if you are on manual focus when you rotate focus ring the camera automatically switches to focus peaking with non electronic  lenses you have to press focus peaking button yourself.
As for the adapter, since it's a canon-canon, it's only job is to transmit electronic signals and increase flange distance so it's construction is  the same as  an extension tube, although it will not act like an extension tube

That made your post even more stupid. What's wrong with pressing a button?

In terms of adapters you also showed not much of insight. I'm not talking about Canon>Canon, because I never will go Canon, but mixing lenses with adapters and genuine lenses always is cumbersome in general. However, do as you please. If you like to believe a first FF mirrorless from either Canon or Nikon will be the right thing to get although you haven't seen it, neither tried to use nor have any idea about specs and lens mounts, you can expect comments like mine.
Ok ok you win, why am I arguing here, I'd better go throw myself in a lake if that makes you happy
Quote:Well Nikon and Canon themselves promised mirrorless bodies, theoretically adapters should be nothing but extension tubes, IMHO what might be lacking is automatic focus peaking, how would the camera know you are rotating focus ring in manual focus ?

First of all, it's Focus Magnification, not Focus Peaking. Peaking is the colorful help thingie and is always active as long as the camera is in manual focus mode. Magnification is only activated if you press a button or turn the focus ring.

Second, with Nikon it's not as simple as you think. While Canon EF mount is completely electronic, Nikon isn't and needs a ton of levers, feelers, switches and even electric motors to make their lenses work. If Nikon offers a simple tube of electrical contacts as an adapter, only a handful of their lenses will be compatible.

And for the camera knowing whether the focus ring is turned or not, it's not really that hard. Lenses transmit focusing distance to the camera. If it's changing = focus ring is being turned = turn on magnification. It even works with very old Sigma lenses adapted via Sony's own adapter to Sony bodies. Not a big deal.

Sure there'll be issues with some lenses as it doesn't probably work as simple as I've put it but still, no big deal. Worst case: press a button.

You don't want to try to manually focus on EF lenses anyway. 30 degrees of rotation Big Grin