Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF announced
http://www.tokinalens.com/news/press/N0000081/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Summer 2018 haha!
How close do these two resemble one another?

https://pentaxrumors.com/2018/02/26/the-...ound-1300/

Dave's clichés
(02-28-2018, 09:51 AM)davidmanze Wrote: How close do these two resemble one another?

https://pentaxrumors.com/2018/02/26/the-...ound-1300/

Dave's clichés

Pentax seems to source some of their lenses from Tokina or Tamron these days.

The 15-30mm and 24-70mm are certainly Tamrons if you check the lens schemas.
Tokinas have been rebranded several times in the past.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
As someone who tried tamron (old 28-200) and Sigma (14mm f2.8, 20mm f1.8, 24-70f2.8) and Tokina 24-200 and 16-28f2.8 my preference goes to tokina ok I am comparing old lenses to modern lenses but 24-200 isn't new, their build quality is simply amazing.
Also Tokina 16-28f2.8 is very sharp with excellent color rendering if their other lenses are the same quality and the price is right I am interested, the 200-300 niche for lenses seems empty right now, if tokina does invest there, there are several lenses I would be interested in. (FE mount)
(02-28-2018, 10:18 AM)Klaus Wrote: Pentax seems to source some of their lenses from Tokina or Tamron these days.
More likely it was Pentax who provided this design to Tokina, like they did in the past.
I had a couple of "older school" Tokina lenses - the 12-24/4 and the 17/3.5 - and they left me with mixed impressions, the 12-24 had off the scale CA, the 17/3.5 wasn't all that sharp and I liked the focusing of neither lens. If they finally get rid of the stupid focus clutch and micro motors - they've been promising to implement modern motors for ages - then all my reservations are gone.

P. S. Toni, I have the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 you mentioned and it looks/operates as a modern lens thank to the HSM drive, much better than any Tokina.
P. P. S. I've heard mixed things about the Tokina build quality - to the tune of that they look fine and sturdy on the outside but the inner construction is flimsy and prone to breakage. A colleague had her 16-50/2.8 literally snap in half and it turned out that the two parts of the lens are connected with some very flimsy plastic.
(03-03-2018, 10:31 AM)Rover Wrote: .

P. S. Toni, I have the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 you mentioned and it looks/operates as a modern lens thank to the HSM drive, much better than any Tokina.
Used to have it, a great lens on 30D, however it was THE lens that had troubles, first time after falling down it got severely decentered and had to be sent to Japan for costy long repairs, the second time it fell that was in France this tine it was "only" 250 EUR repairs

[quote="Rover" pid='43815' P. P. S. I've heard mixed things about the Tokina build quality - to the tune of that they look fine and sturdy on the outside but the inner construction is flimsy and prone to breakage. A colleague had her 16-50/2.8 literally snap in half and it turned out that the two parts of the lens are connected with some very flimsy plastic.
[/quote]
After rethinking you might be right, my tokina 24-200 has a ruptured flex cable, impossible to find replacement, now it's a manual focus no aperture lens
However my Sigma 24-70f2.8 did worse, it broke in half to 2 parts, thankfully it was replaced under warranty
Well, what do you expect from a lens after a fall. My 16-35 II had suffered impact damage twice and neither case ended well for it. It's a miracle that the other lenses I had ever dropped (24-85, 70-200) sustained no real discernible damage (both times the filters were busted).
Tokina announced an issue with their Canon version and Canon EOS 1DX II. Makes it necessary to send the lens in to Tokina - for a simple firmware update. Sigma and Tamron were more clever to sell their docks...

https://tokinalens.com/news/announcement...x_mark_ii/