Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to setup AFMA
It's not an easy job, for close up distance it's easy, but who would shoot macro with 85f1.8 ? any help ?
tried Canon help,
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/...esktop.pdf
85f1.8 +4
50f1.4+1
17-55f2.8 +1 wide +5 tele
100mm macro: no adjustments
field test today
For me I do it simply.......many use special gear......."we have now a window dress dummy" with head and hair and eyes with make-up and lashes......perfect for portrait AF testing.

......if your doing portraits just use the dummy and focus on the "eyes" at the largest aperture....and adjust AFMA to suit!

Or....... choose an appropriate target placed on the ground at about 3-4 mts in good daylight using AF-S wide open aperture.......and check for front and back focus and adjust if necessary........check after for infinity focus.........if shoot a selection of distances to see that all is linear distance wise.

My old method was some sort of large target, a large box with a flat surface placed on the ground (gravel we have here)...... AF-S single point at around four meters and adjust till the subject is reliably in focus (no back/front focus).........check infinity focus afterwards for sharpness as things sometimes can go out of linear scale.......
Always shoot in good light.......and it's worth remembering many lenses change their point of focus stopping down....(spherical aberration)

I'm not saying this is the best method......but it works fine and doesn't need special apparatus!

Edit: In the meantime I see you've done it anyway!!