Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Markus please stop dreaming of a D900 and update tests to a D850. I loved the D3x too
Wink 
I gave up waiting for the D900... and bought a D850 (and sold my D3x).

Will Markus Stamm also please give up waiting for the D900, buy a D850 (and maybe sell his D3x)?

By this I mean - I am sure we're all gagging to read the balanced, intelligent, objective lens reviews of all those FX format Nikon-fit lenses on the D850.

As time is forever short, just focus on Nikon (maybe a little on Sony) and ignore the failed legacy brands like Canon, Leica etc. until you are through.

:-)

.jpg   D900.jpg (Size: 90.62 KB / Downloads: 7)
(03-25-2018, 01:40 PM)D900 Wrote: I gave up waiting for the D900... and bought a D850 (and sold my D3x).

Will Markus Stamm also please give up waiting for the D900, buy a D850 (and maybe sell his D3x)?

By this I mean - I am sure we're all gagging to read the balanced, intelligent, objective lens reviews of all those FX format Nikon-fit lenses on the D850.

As time is forever short, just focus on Nikon (maybe a little on Sony) and ignore the failed legacy brands like Canon, Leica etc. until you are through.

Markus has ducked below the radar again.......... probably doing life type activities....

......he comes and goes.......you know how it is!     Cool
No, I don't know how it is, sir.

MS is an enthusiast and self-funding, I think, and is to be highly commended and encouraged.

I trust him reasonably, something I find increasingly tough to do with that dx ooo mark site, which is why photozone.de is so needed!

I love Nikon but to equate the sensor performance from a low to mid range Nikon half-frame dSLR with a top-of-the-range full-frame Canon dSLR is just bonkers as per dx ooo mark.

As to lens testing, even if we disregard the dx ooo mark number (which as they state gives a bonus for fast optics) and go for their "sharpness" number, we get absurdities like the Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF, which is fantastically sharp, ranked only #111 well below some twelve zooms.

They provide lots of mumbo-jumbo but ever since I saw them rate two P&S cameras' sensors 20 apart, and they both used exactly the same sensor and circuitry, I viewed dx ooo mark more as an entertainment site a la Rockwell.   Smile
(03-25-2018, 09:39 PM)D900 Wrote: No, I don't know how it is, sir.

MS is an enthusiast and self-funding, I think, and is to be highly commended and encouraged.

I trust him reasonably, something I find increasingly tough to do with that dx ooo mark site, which is why photozone.de is so needed!

I love Nikon but to equate the sensor performance from a low to mid range Nikon half-frame dSLR with a top-of-the-range full-frame Canon dSLR is just bonkers as per dx ooo mark.

As to lens testing, even if we disregard the dx ooo mark number (which as they state gives a bonus for fast optics) and go for their "sharpness" number, we get absurdities like the Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF, which is fantastically sharp, ranked only #111 well below some twelve zooms.

They provide lots of mumbo-jumbo but ever since I saw them rate two P&S cameras' sensors 20 apart, and they both used exactly the same sensor and circuitry, I viewed dx ooo mark more as an entertainment site a la Rockwell.   Smile

First: Markus appears to be a bit off the grid, he also didn't reply to a mail. He was about to order a D850 - but even if he already got it, it will take time to adapt the testing procedure.

Second: Klaus tested some lenses on the 5D R and hesitated to make a final judgement because some of the lenses showed border and corner weaknesses which were less apparently in lower resolution.

Third: I don't know if you kow the website lenscore.org ? They appear to stopped their project in March 2017, but so far they tested a lot of new lenses. For that, they set up a rig witha 200 MP sensor and some optical device in front  to be able to test independent from camera sensors. Although I'm not sure if that approach is entirely good, it's one which treats all lenses equally.
While testing all lenses on the same sensor can be tempting for lens sharpness , however I prefer seeing the lenses tested on the bodies on which they will actually be used to be closer to real life results, here at PZ (or OL if you prefer) even some amount of sharpening is applied to be closer to real world.
At least for me in a review I read the description, focus behavior, and check sample photos that I consider as important as the charts
(03-26-2018, 08:50 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: lenscore.org ? They appear to stopped their project in March 2017, but so far they tested a lot of new lenses. For that, they set up a rig witha 200 MP sensor and some optical device in front  to be able to test independent from camera sensors. Although I'm not sure if that approach is entirely good, it's one which treats all lenses equally.

lenscore.org ... I would be much less sceptical if they anywhere included or disclosed photographs of their actual setup, with this 200 MP custom sensor and special achromatic lenses (introduced in the optical path?!).

This is because "seeing is believing".

Surely if they are intelligent enough to have come up with this test system, they are also intelligent enough to realise many cynics will see this as potentially just an exercise in weighted random number generation...

Surely they do know how to take photographs.

So, why didn't they put up these photographs of their impressive-sounding rig?

I apologise for being cynical.
No apology needed.  Smile

I think, it became more of an archive and the owners abandoned their project.

About "seeing is believing": Well, we all know what Photoshop is capable of   Cool therefore I say "reading is believing". I once asked the contact address something about a specific lens and got a reply.

Beside, I can't remember to have seen a picture from Klaus' or Markus' setups and I still believe them.

Somehow.

More or less.

Blush
(03-29-2018, 04:56 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Beside, I can't remember to have seen a picture from Klaus' or Markus' setups and I still believe them.
They did post some photos but that was a very long time ago, I remember at the time we were discussing if air temperature could affect test result, Klaus had noted that after the start of winter he had better results, cold air could be better than hot air...
(03-29-2018, 07:05 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 04:56 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: cold air could be better than hot air...

LOL  x 2
I think Markus has the D850 on order and he's waiting for the delivery
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji