Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new stuff from Canon (EOS 77D, 800D, M6, 18-55mm f/4-5.6 STM IS)
Quote:Another lens that has to be tested...  :ph34r:

Wait, what?  This is the same lens tested on a 15mp APS-C isn't it?  The same one that came with my D70?  Yes, I am the proud owner of three different versions of the EFS 18-55mm Kit lenses.  I think they all work pretty good, and are virtually weightless.  Have decent close focus.  Ironically I used the older two quite a bit.  By the time I got the 18-55 STM, I had The EFS 60 Macro, and the EFS 17-85, so no reason to use what is probably a decent lens!
For a pentaprism, look at the heavier 80D.

They cheapen the xxD line with this move!  Is there a shutter speed difference too, or have they morphed the consumer and prosumer models into slight of hand feature swap?
Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(29,33,41);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">
<div> 
</div>

<div> 
</div>

<div>Canon EF 18-55mm f/4-5.6 STM IS
</div>

<div>https://www.canon.com.au/camera-lenses/e...5-6-is-stm

</div>

</div>

Ah!  A typo!  it should read EF-S 18-55.....
Quote:Wait, what?  This is the same lens tested on a 15mp APS-C isn't it?  The same one that came with my D70?  
No. This is the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS STM. Not the EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM.

New lens:
  • 215 grams
  • 67mm diameter
  • 62mm length
Old lens:
  • 205 grams
  • 69mm diameter
  • 75mm length
They shaved 1/3rd of a stop at the wide end for a 20% size reduction. As far as I can tell, the MTFs for the new one are slightly better at the wide end, and slightly worse at the long end?

Anyway, the optics have changed dramatically:

New lens:

[Image: lens-construction.png]

Old lens:

[Image: lens-construction.png]