Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yongnuo 50mm f/1.4 announced
(06-03-2018, 01:28 PM)wim Wrote:
(06-03-2018, 11:01 AM)Rover Wrote: Klaus, you misspelled "Yongnuo" in the "industry news" column. Smile
[/evil proofreader mode]
Anyway, this lens looks a new and unique design (optically), wonder how well is it going to perform? The old Canon was nothing to write home about until about f/2.5 or 2.8, much like its sibling the 28/1.8. I tried both for awhile but chose to stay away from either, even though the 28/1.8 looks pretty sexy.
That's pretty normal. Even a lens like the Zeiss 50 F/1.4 is only getting good at around F/4 - F/5.6. Considering its price I was rather disappointed with it; the 50L was better, although they were more or less the same from about F/4 onwards. There generally are only few fast lenses which are very good wide open, and even then they tend show some fall-off towards the corners.

Relatively cheap lenses like will perform well for their money, but again, you;d have toi stop them down to F/4, F/5.6 for optimal results.

Kind regards, Wim
I would say this WAS normal for the lenses of yore, when all fast 50s were similarly simple, like 7/6 in a double gauss. The Zeiss 50 you are talking (I presume you meant the old ZE/ZF thingy) about was really the same, and the only thing distinguishing it from the rest of the crowd were the Zeiss name and the metal housing. I've seen the samples: it had coke bottle sharpness at f/1.4 and not much better at f/2 except at the very center. Now, of course, this has not been considered acceptable for a while already; see all the new and original designs coming up, including but not limited to the Sigma Art and the Zeiss Milvus.
Of all my 50s, the Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 for Contax is the weakest. Contrast and sharpness give me no reason to use it instead the Fuji 50/2, not to mention the 50/1.4 A. But the Nikkor 50/1.4 G is also rather average. But what to get, when the main concern is „better than a smartphone“ and „small and lightweight“?

I think I would try the Tamron 45/1.8. 29 cm MFD, VC, aspherical elements and floating elememts. the Yongnuo might be good as kamikaze lens for mission impossibles with highly possible damage to body and lens.
(06-04-2018, 11:05 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Of all my 50s, the Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 for Contax is the weakest. Contrast and sharpness give me no reason to use it instead the Fuji 50/2, not to mention the 50/1.4 A. But the Nikkor 50/1.4 G is also rather average. But what to get, when the main concern is „better than a smartphone“ and „small and lightweight“?

I think I would try the Tamron 45/1.8. 29 cm MFD, VC, aspherical elements and floating elememts. the Yongnuo might be good as kamikaze lens for mission impossibles with highly possible damage to body and lens.

Yeah, I was contemplating the Tamron. Some day I'll probably get it. I think for the "suicide missions" the old Canon 50/1.8 II is best; it kinda does perform but probably would be a write-off if things go south. I have one of these - actually it's been in my possession for 10 years - but it's seeing very little use.