Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Nikon 1
(07-13-2018, 11:36 PM)Klaus Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 10:20 PM)you2 Wrote: That didn't last long. I'm not sure it matters why it didn't last long unless you wish to create a new product and want to study what went right and what went wrong. However, if you owned one well next time you will need to learn to buy a better system.

To be fair ... it lasted longer than Samsung ...

So RIP Nikon 1, it'll be the second defunct system to have been covered by Photozone. I think a couple others might see the writing on the wall in the foreseeable future too. Smile

I was however very surprised when the Samsung NX system had kicked the bucket. The lens choice was very interesting and they seemed to be producing more pancake lenses (an idee fixe for the mirrorless community) than any other manufacturer. I wonder what went wrong and by whose hand...
Nikon 1 however... amusingly enough, I almost bought one of the (earlier) camera/lens kits once - in 2012 methinks, when I was choosing a camera for my mom. However she was strict on one count - no interchangeable lenses - so in the end I caved in and got her a Nikon P7100 (or whichever) P&S which she's still using with good results. All this from a Canon user of many years. Smile My dad's also using a Nikon P&S (though a very basic one he bought himself) so whenever we meet I crack a joke about the generation/brand war. Smile
I bought, sold and re-bought a P7800 which I like very much. It's a pity these little jewels are today only second hand available. It's my "always with me" camera and most of the shots I need for my work are made with it. IQ is ideal for max. A4 prints, and it's so small that I can use it inside the machines I'm documenting.
(07-14-2018, 10:12 AM)Rover Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 11:36 PM)Klaus Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 10:20 PM)you2 Wrote: That didn't last long. I'm not sure it matters why it didn't last long unless you wish to create a new product and want to study what went right and what went wrong. However, if you owned one well next time you will need to learn to buy a better system.

To be fair ... it lasted longer than Samsung ...

So RIP Nikon 1, it'll be the second defunct system to have been covered by Photozone. I think a couple others might see the writing on the wall in the foreseeable future too. Smile

I was however very surprised when the Samsung NX system had kicked the bucket. The lens choice was very interesting and they seemed to be producing more pancake lenses (an idee fixe for the mirrorless community) than any other manufacturer. I wonder what went wrong and by whose hand...
Nikon 1 however... amusingly enough, I almost bought one of the (earlier) camera/lens kits once - in 2012 methinks, when I was choosing a camera for my mom. However she was strict on one count - no interchangeable lenses - so in the end I caved in and got her a Nikon P7100 (or whichever) P&S which she's still using with good results. All this from a Canon user of many years. Smile My dad's also using a Nikon P&S (though a very basic one he bought himself) so whenever we meet I crack a joke about the generation/brand war. Smile

Wasn't the problem with Samsung the sensor ? I suppose they could have fixed that via using a sony sensor but perhaps pride or culture prevented such ? Anyway where did the camera fit in the eco-system ?
The odd thing with Samsung was not that they quit, the odd thing was that they quit RIGHT AFTER they finally introduced a very powerful camera that was creating a lot of buzz and interest. 15FPS with hybrid AF that could keep up, 28mp BSI sensor that easily could keep up in 2018 (so no, the problem certainly was not the sensor), good ergonomics (beats every Sony product out now in that respect) and a very good OLED EVF. It even had pretty good video. It even had a lineup of pro lenses.
If we wanna be precise - Nikon 1 was the fourth digital system to let go ... FT was first and Samsung had two of em - NX and NX-M.

NX-M was probably the most short-lived system ever - introduced in 2014.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_NX_mini#Mount
Exactly, everyone here was saying, Samsung CEO should be an idiot to take such a step
(07-15-2018, 09:57 AM)forum Wrote: If we wanna be precise - Nikon 1 was the fourth digital system to let go ... FT was first and Samsung had two of em - NX and NX-M.

Would you consider Contax N a digital system?
(07-15-2018, 05:21 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: The odd thing with Samsung was not that they quit, the odd thing was that they quit RIGHT AFTER they finally introduced a very powerful camera that was creating a lot of buzz and interest. 15FPS with hybrid AF that could keep up,  28mp BSI sensor that easily could keep up in 2018 (so no, the problem certainly was not the sensor), good ergonomics (beats every Sony product out now in that respect) and a very good OLED EVF. It even had pretty good video. It even had a lineup of pro lenses.

Absolutely, it was a sad day when Samsung announced the death of the brand. The NX1 was the best ML out there at the time.....and is still not dated!...... NX1 owners are still posting away on the forums.
Nikon should have bought out Samsung's camera division!!

I see two on "Le bon coin" here both at 1,000 euros.....they're holding their value well even now!
So let's hope for a comeback, then. I mean, if Deep Purple could make it work, why can't Samsung. Smile
(07-15-2018, 09:20 PM)obican Wrote:
(07-15-2018, 09:57 AM)forum Wrote: If we wanna be precise - Nikon 1 was the fourth digital system to let go ... FT was first and Samsung had two of em - NX and NX-M.

Would you consider Contax N a digital system?
Or Leica R with its digital back?