Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sony 70-200mm GM ...
For 200mm, it will not be much, and usually pin cushion distortion where you lose pixels at the edges. But for the wide angles, where you lose a LOT of pixels in corners (which you have to cover by smearing other pixels out), which should be pretty noticable compared to equally sharp lenses that are better corrected.
It's usually a Catch 22. You correct the distortion optically and you end up with a less sharp lens. Not correcting the distortion may actually result in a larger lens, which you have to downgrade by fixing it in software later on. Which results in a pretty similar image. There are exceptions to the rule, which are both well corrected and sharp all the way but those lenses are usually much larger, heavier and more expensive anyway.

So, I don't really care. Apart from very cheap kit zooms, I never noticed any quality loss after clicking auto-correct with any of my lenses.
I think you should remember that it is possible to create a lens with minimal distortions. The question is, sometimes, why it isn't done.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-18-2018, 12:45 PM)obican Wrote: It's usually a Catch 22. You correct the distortion optically and you end up with a less sharp lens. Not correcting the distortion may actually result in a larger lens, which you have to downgrade by fixing it in software later on. Which results in a pretty similar image. There are exceptions to the rule, which are both well corrected and sharp all the way but those lenses are usually much larger, heavier and more expensive anyway.

So, I don't really care. Apart from very cheap kit zooms, I never noticed any quality loss after clicking auto-correct with any of my lenses.
Exactly nobody but Klaus will see any significant difference between the two .
This lens doesn't seem to have significant base distortions anyway ...

Hmmmmh .... (doing the MTF analysis ...)

(07-21-2018, 07:52 AM)Klaus Wrote: Hmmmmh .... (doing the MTF analysis ...)

Impressive or dissappoint? Big Grin
Eh... what's that I see on the front page? A preview? (must be a sunstroke - after all it's +33 °C around here Smile).
(07-21-2018, 07:52 AM)Klaus Wrote: Hmmmmh .... (doing the MTF analysis ...)

How long should we wait? I can't ? Pleaseeee
Sorry, there was an accident in my family. Maybe tomorrow.