•  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nikon Z launched
Is this "shards" terminology unique to you JoJu?......it's got a motor trader ring about it, I knew one who called all old cars "shrapnel"....Ugh!

So, a new Z7 system to play with......always good fun and as the saying goes.........

The only difference between men and boys, is that men have bigger and more expensive toys!
I know one photog who calls all his lenses "shard", but for me it's a difference between lens and shard. I'm pretty impressed by what Nikon delivered as kit lens (although I had preferred a 24-105 like Canon makes). Here's some impressions of Spencer Cox: https://photographylife.com/nikon-z-24-7...e-overview

And truly, the lens is very versatile due to it's close up range. Focus by wire is really smooth on this lens.
By the way, if I observe the PD AF banding in an image shot by someone else, it is a 1st hand observation (me doing the observation).
Like in this DPReview image:
https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/article..._1737.jpeg

The EOS R will not have this banding, as Canon does not use a similar PD AF implementation. So no need to wait for that.

And Nikon's compressed (lossless) RAW does not have issues, just like Canon's CR2 format is compressed without issues. It is Sony's compressed format that is problematic. The Sony A7R III gives 82mb per image uncompressed.

I prefer not pulling shadows many stops, I find pulling shadows many stops a very odd fad.
I also prefer to get the picture right without any HDR manipulation. But sometimes the range of a scene is just too big, so highlight and shadow recovery are important to me.

It will be interesting how Capture One deals with the Z7 files. For me they will be okay, if I can pull the shadows halfway of what the shadow slider allows, usually I don't need more than 1/4.

Takeaway for me with the banding issue is (as was with the white spots issue of the D750): There might be a software fix for it, but until then I better take two pictures and stack them, if the scene needs higher dynamic range.
The banding is not (just) visible in shadow pull situations, see the image linked in above post (around the paper shard, for instance).
"Again, the effect is not especially pronounced but there are times you may encounter it."

If I look closely and very concentrated, my eyes also show me also a kind of banding, but not from the camera-sensor... Not long ago, DPReview's site was the best banding generator for me, as my eyes don't easily recover fromt he strong black and white contrasts produced by their "professional layout" with white text on black background Smile Some of the banding samples work for me the same way, I'm not sure if it's sensor banding or eye fatigue.
When you look at the image, nothing from DPReview's site is there, just the JPEG. And you can switch the website to black text on white.
It's black border around a super bright picture, that has to my eyes the same effect - it's like kind of ghosting overlay.
(10-02-2018, 12:41 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: It's black border around a super bright picture, that has to my eyes the same effect - it's like kind of ghosting overlay.

Actually I'm even more disgusted by the PDAF wiring stripping in the Sony (potentionally Nikon Z, too) mirrorless:  

https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/article..._crop.jpeg   - look at her face and hair

This is something than cannot be easily fixed in the postprocess, at least with ACR I'm using. True, this stripping may not be encountered frequently but there is relatively high probability of its occurence if you use some kind of backlight. Which is not a rare case among portrait photographers. I do think this is a kind of serious issue because photography IS about light, isn' t it?

And the banding in pulled shadow just spoils the great dynamic range you can work with. 

@Brightcolors:   "I prefer not pulling shadows many stops, I find pulling shadows many stops a very odd fad."  - why do you say that? I think when used creatively, it can save you the weight of external lights! When I'm at home, I will attach some pics of mine with heavily pulled shadows that wouldn' t be possible to make with a limited dynamic range of the sensor. And I'm simply so happy I do not have to work with flashes so often... 
(10-02-2018, 02:14 PM)martind86 Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 12:41 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: It's black border around a super bright picture, that has to my eyes the same effect - it's like kind of ghosting overlay.

Actually I'm even more disgusted by the PDAF wiring stripping in the Sony (potentionally Nikon Z, too) mirrorless:  

https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/article..._crop.jpeg   - look at her face and hair

This is something than cannot be easily fixed in the postprocess, at least with ACR I'm using. True, this stripping may not be encountered frequently but there is relatively high probability of its occurence if you use some kind of backlight. Which is not a rare case among portrait photographers. I do think this is a kind of serious issue because photography IS about light, isn' t it?

And the banding in pulled shadow just spoils the great dynamic range you can work with. 

@Brightcolors:   "I prefer not pulling shadows many stops, I find pulling shadows many stops a very odd fad."  - why do you say that? I think when used creatively, it can save you the weight of external lights! When I'm at home, I will attach you some pics with heavily pulled shadows that wouldn' t be possible with limited dynamic range. And I'm simply so happy I do not have to work with flashes so often... 

This may be a reflection effect from the sensor to/from to the protection glass.
Sensors are darn shiny things and if you throw too much light on them, there can be freak effects I reckon.

(10-02-2018, 11:07 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: By the way, if I observe the PD AF banding in an image shot by someone else, it is a 1st hand observation (me doing the observation).
Like in this DPReview image:
https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/article..._1737.jpeg

The EOS R will not have this banding, as Canon does not  use a similar PD AF implementation. So no need to wait for that.

And Nikon's compressed (lossless) RAW does not have issues, just like Canon's CR2 format is compressed without issues. It is Sony's compressed format that is problematic. The Sony A7R III gives 82mb per image uncompressed.

I prefer not pulling shadows many stops, I find pulling shadows many stops a very odd fad.

The only thing that I see there is a completely useless shot.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji

•  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next