Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikon AF-S 105mm f/1.4E ED (FX)
Enjoy Smile

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/99...afs10514ff

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

"Apart from size and weight, it is indeed very similar to it's closest siblings, which means it comes with a outer barrel" Typo, should be "an".

"As is is the case for all new Nikkors for many years now, the AF-S 105/1.4E is a G-type lens and thus does not offer an aperture ring."

Nice lens, well written review.

Thanks, BC! Corrected the typos.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

If only they could produce a 21mm 5* lens Smile-

More serious I see 3 flaws; the vignetting is a bit high at f1.4; it is not APO (or even close to APO) and the front bokeh looks er off (but perhaps I'm being unfair here - i'm looking at the ruler not the bokeh shot).  

The vignet does seem  high to myself for a short tele. THe canon 85f1.2 for example has less vignet but is a stop faster but maybe taht is not a fair comparison. -

There is no doubt that this lens has very good resolution and is in general a very good lens but is it one that is destined to be a classic ?

Quote: 

The vignet does seem  high to myself for a short tele. THe canon 85f1.2 for example has less vignet but is a stop faster but maybe taht is not a fair comparison. -

The Canon has a wider mount diameter and lbetter placement of contacts They have more room, and also the aperture of a 105mm f1.4 is a tad bigger, making the narrow mount a bigger issue.
Quote:More serious I see 3 flaws; the vignetting is a bit high at f1.4; it is not APO (or even close to APO) and the front bokeh looks er off (but perhaps I'm being unfair here - i'm looking at the ruler not the bokeh shot).

The vignet does seem high to myself for a short tele. THe canon 85f1.2 for example has less vignet but is a stop faster but maybe that is not a fair comparison. -
1.2 vs 1.4 isn't a stop of difference... It's 1/3 or maybe 1/2 stop. :o

Quote:There is no doubt that this lens has very good resolution and is in general a very good lens but is it one that is destined to be a classic ?
Give me your definition of a classic. Smile

Mine says it will be one, much like the 14-24 that has already sealed its legacy.

And in order to use that Nerdy Editor moment... Sorry Markus. Smile
Quote:Nikon restricted this modern aperture variant to it's high end long primes, the PC-E tilt shift lenses and the recently announced 70-200/2.8E VR.
I think it's not a restriction, especially since there is the new 16-80/2.8-4E. Smile

Re:the lens itself, looks like a rad unit, the resolution is almost too good to be true.

As a fun "aside", among your 5 recent reviews seen on the main page (mobile version - I'm on vacation) none there is one lens from each of the most important manufacturers. Smile
That resolution chart is simply ridiculous!

OK, This sharpness of the lens is just plain ludicrous...almost off the scale!

LOCAs are likely to be the only practical flaw in some "jewel laden" models images. I've seen many images on DPreviews forums and the results wide open are fabulous with the softest and butteryest bokeh, truly impressive akin to the AF-S 200mm F2.

Here's the link to Lensrental's strip down of the lens, in which Roger Cicala states that the barrel is of "polycarbonate over a metal core" It's worth a look!

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/12...e-ed-af-s/

There was a bit of a stir over Nikon's claim of the AF system having a gear-less SWD ring motor, after Roger's strip down Nikon changed their AF motor description within 24 hours!

What portrait photographer would not aspire to this lens? 

BTW.     It's worth to mention X.........  It's worth mentioning!    Pardon me Markus but!

Quote:BTW.     <del>It's worth to mention</del> X.........  It's worth mentioning!    Pardon me Markus but!

No worries, dave, I really appreciate such advice.

About the resolution: yes, unbelievably high. I redid the test twice to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the workflow, even revitalized the D7000 to make sure nothing is wrong with the settings in the D3x menu that might have lead to too high numbers. But the lens performs in a very similar way on the DX camera, too.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

So there's going to be a DX review as well?