Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test review: Sony E 18-105mm f/4 G OSS
  Are we giving it too much credit?  The lowly kit  Nikor 18-105mm VR lens beats it hands down.....

and it's for peanuts!

(execpt F4 mid tele up)

Well, the test was done on 24mp ... where the Nikkor was tested on 16mp.

I just finished the next Canon lab tests and the difference between 21mp and 50mp is ... well ... obvious.

We have several lenses in this range the Nikon 18-105, Canon 18-135 and its three  variants and Sony.

My wild  guess from what I have seen on the build quality side it's Sony-Nikon-Canon, however optically speaking it is Canon -Nikon- Sony of course we are speaking about the STM or USM variants of the Canon lens.

Am I right ?

I also do landscape with very long lenses. Actually, the only limit to me is atmospheric blur. 300/400mm in APS-C mode are generally fine, something longer can work depending on the subject distance and blur.

PS I think email notifications are out of order again?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
@ toni-a  ..... i can confirm

The first thing I did after reading.  I took my Canon 18-135 3.5-5.6 IS (first version) ... bought seven years ago with my first DSLR Kit Canon D550 from the shelf.  Put a cheap EOS-NEX adapter on NEX-6 .... and tested. 

Works fine, fine fine. Manual focussing nails shots precisely. IS works,  EXIFs were saved correctly. Lightroom finds lens profile. Image IQ ..... I would not expect too much buying this Sony E 18-105 F4 G OSS (except AF);

Klaus, thanks you for this review!

Can I quickly ask, on behalf of someone else who is having issues posting, are the sharpness results for this lens with or without corrections applied?

Thanks
Without. Please note that distortion correction TENDS to decrease the MTFs.

CA correction has a limited, positive influence beyond 3px.