Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Field monitor for manual focusing in flower macro?
As time goes by, flower macro photography is getting more and more a pain for physical reasons: age is bringing some muscular and skeletal pain, so keeping the camera on the ground and looking into the EVF is getting less feasible. In the optimal contexts I use an angled viewer mounted on the EVF, but this requires that I lay down on the ground prone, a thing that often can't be done.

The back monitor of the camera helps, but again age is worsening my sight, so manual focusing is getting harder and harder — also I never solved the problem of bright days under the sun that make the monitor output pale (I usually try to shade it, but this leaves only one hand to work).

So I'm looking into a field monitor to see whether it can help. I already evaluated some a number of years ago (at the time I had lighter requirements and was not an option), but after such a long time I've lost contact with this technology.

After a very quick evaluation I've spotted the VILTROX DC-550 as a starting point:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0C2YM6N2X/

It looks nice, but I see that, while being a bit more than an entry level, it has a lot of functions that I don't need. Basically what I need is:
  • resolution (4k is ok)
  • brightness (I presume 1200nits are ok)
  • fast response (otherwise manual focusing gets complicated)
  • a light thing
I don't think I need further stuff (zooming shouldn't be useful, I think, since the camera can provide 5x and 11x live view). So maybe there's something simpler, cheaper and lighter.

Suggestions?
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Doesn't your camera have remote live view on mobile ?
Better use this feature
Actually it's the way I'm trying now, this app seems to work fine:

https://monitorplus.cc/

I tried apps in the past, but none was good enough (the official one from Sony doesn't even start!). This is a real improvement — with the a6600 unfortunately it doesn't support wireless, but I'm testing a 2m cable apparently without problems. Good solution, if confirmed, since it doesn't require extra stuff in the backpack. As soon as the weather turns better (one week of cold and rain in the forecast) I'll check if my Sony XPeria 10 III is bright enough in the sunlight.
It's well complemented by the JJC RMT-P1BT bluetooth remote that also provides a remote custom function (that I use to activate magnification of the focus assist) and step-by-step manual focusing.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
(04-22-2024, 07:06 PM)stoppingdown Wrote:  (one week of cold and rain in the forecast).

if you really don't like cold and rain come here to Qatar... it's already hotter than it would ever get in summer in Switzerland
I don't like either cold or warm. :-))))
stoppingdown.net