Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Even more awesome in person actually - loved it

http://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/987-fuji100400f4556

Looks like a rad lens there.

very nice.

The (uncorrected) pincushion distortion would give the lens, at least theoretically, a bit better resolution in the diagonal corners compared to orthogonal borders?

I didn't realize, but Fuji sells an Arca-compatible plate for the dwarfish tripod-socket. Makes me wonder why not using a bigger plate and integrating an Arca-type swallow-tail? Sigma did that quite nicely (but expensive) with their additional foot for the 150-600 Sports.

I would hope for a firmware update for that lens to adjust the focus limiter. 5 m ... ∞ is really no big use, I would also need one from 1.75 m...3 m. And if I aim at closer distances, the twin motor AF is not exactly silent by scrubbing through the range.

But those are details, basically I find the lens worth the price.

What kind of a tripod did you use for this 600 equiv. lens when doing the sample and test shoots?  How much did it weigh?  I am just curious.

enjoy
Quote:What kind of a tripod did you use for this 600 equiv. lens when doing the sample and test shoots?  How much did it weigh?  I am just curious.

I'm using two tripods for such tests ... :-) The 2nd one supports the front of the lens. There's no mount, of course, but a very gentle lift makes the whole setup rock solid.

The sample images were all taken hand-held - like almost always.
Quote:I'm using two tripods for such tests ... :-) The 2nd one supports the front of the lens. There's no mount, of course, but a very gentle lift makes the whole setup rock solid.

The sample images were all taken hand-held - like almost always.
The level of sharpness you got with a 600 equivalent at 1/1000s is quite something. I was looking at the image of the top of the skyscraper. I am still wondering what a good tripod would buy you here.
enjoy
The weather wasn't even overly good at the time of the field tests. In perfect conditions the very long shots would have been better still. I think air quality/weather are often more limiting factors for such lenses than the lens quality itself.

That's for sure. In the region where I live we have a lot of humidity in the air and therefore often bad conditions.

However, two tripods for a combination I can hold with one hand? wow. Btw. did you also hear some sound of the lens with OIS off and no AF action active?

Quote:That's for sure. In the region where I live we have a lot of humidity in the air and therefore often bad conditions.

However, two tripods for a combination I can hold with one hand? wow. Btw. did you also hear some sound of the lens with OIS off and no AF action active?

I can't really remember whether sound was totally absent but I didn't notice anything disturbing.