Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snapshots with AF-S DX 16-80 VR and AF-P 70-300 VR
Not really a preview, since it's just a few images I took with both lenses on a walk today, and other than "regular" sample images, these are slightly edited and/or cropped.

Still: having fun with both lenses... and working on their reviews Smile

P.S.: the AF-P 70-300 VR is the new FX lens, not the DX one.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Hope you don't mind but I like the pictures more than the cheapo lenses  Big Grin well done! "You must have a good camera"  ^_^

Quote: Wink Not really a preview, since it's just a few images I took with both lenses on a walk today, and other than "regular" sample images, these are slightly edited and/or cropped.

Still: having fun with both lenses... and working on their reviews Smile

P.S.: the AF-P 70-300 VR is the new FX lens, not the DX one.

At first I thought : Ah, that nice little cheap DX zoom...till I read  FX....

..The FX version is expensive, (I'm finding it around 800 + euros.. base price)..........this focal length zoom is pretty uninteresting on FF  with it's limited brightness.....I can't see the attraction, when you can get a S/H Nikor 70-200mm F2.8 for that!

........ the DX version is for peanuts (€200) and has a more useful FL giving some semblance of reach.

Apparently it's a good sharp lens with ultra fast AF.

Perhaps while your AF-P "ing"  a quick test of the AF-P 18-55mm  F3.5-5.6 VR as Nikon's biggest selling lens might be interesting!

BTW. Love the image of the geyzer...geezer!  Tongue

Yeah, I just jumped on the first AF-P coming in the results. Didn't know they made two of them, and the old version is also still around.

The attraction might be: still lighter (50%) than the 70/200/2.8, smaller as well + 50% more reach (talking about 200 vs 300 mm). And I doubt you get the new 70-200/2.8 for 900€ second hand, dave. And you can run for grey-imports, but somebody has to support Nikon Service otherwise you won't get you lenses fixed in the future  Wink .

I also can imagine the AF of the smaller and lighter focus unit might be as fast as the new 70-200? 

Thanks to both of you Smile

Regarding the 70-300 VR: with the current retail price, I find it way overprized for sure. The predecessor can be bought used for around 250 EUR in Germany, and I don't think the new lens is so much better that it justifies investing more than 3 times the money.

However, it does have some advantages over the older lens: AF is noiseless and amazingly fast, VR has been improved, too. Gone is the distance scale, though.

@JoJu: the first generation 70-200 VR sells used in the range of 800-1000 EUR, depending on condition. However, it's definitely bigger and heavier, true.

@Dave: I have the AF-P 18-55 VR for quite a while already and like it a lot. Hoever, I can't review it on the D7200, since I can not switch off VR on that camera. Reviewing the lens will require to get a different DX review camera just for AF-P DX lenses.
Editor
opticallimits.com

"Reviewing the lens will require "getting" a different DX review camera just for AF-P DX lenses". 

Ah yes, I remember now, you had said!

Save it for when you have the D500......is your wife not offering one for Christmas?  :blink: 

First impulse was to reply "who wants a D500 when he could get more versatile mirrorless APS-C" Tongue  but on second thought: Getting a serious combination with great tele lens (the 100-400 Fuji has several shortcomings for me, and other than that, Fuji has zero offerings, only rumors of roadmaps which change quicker than their firmware) will cost you serious money, just for getting mirrorless.  Sad At the moment, a D500 is the best to get when long tele lenses are somehow necessary.

What does AF-P stand for? I checked the Nikon Lens abbreviations but they bother only about the endings of the lens' description.

Pronto!

Quote: 

What does AF-P stand for? I checked the Nikon Lens abbreviations but they bother only about the endings of the lens' description.
The AF-P monicker stands for the use of stepper motor. Canon uses the STM (STepper Motor) name for that, Nikon obviously (AF-S/SWM vs USM, VR vs IS) had to come up with their own naming convention. The "P" stands for "Pulse". Pulse as in you give a pulse to the motor and it moves a step. A bit convoluted, but that is what the "P" stands for.
Quote:"Reviewing the lens will require "getting" a different DX review camera just for AF-P DX lenses".
Ah, thanks... I don't know when a part of my brain messed up the correct use of gerund, but it's a really stubborn part. I'm trying to wrestle it down as much as I can, so (seriously) please keep correcting me.

Quote:Save it for when you have the D500......is your wife not offering one for Christmas?  :blink:
No wife, and no D500 for Christmas Wink

Seriously: I'm considering the D5600, since its sensor should be very close to the D7200's, so I'm hoping for MTF results that are at least roughly similar.
Editor
opticallimits.com