Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Sony thinking with their crazy lens prices
Last year a friend of mine bought Sony emount, it was compact and  she loved it.

Today Sony Lebanon is on sale, went there and even with sales prices are crazy.

who would pay 900$ for a 24-240 f3.5-6.3 ?

What is toni-a thinking by asking question like this?  Wink 10× zoom for APS-C sounds not illegal to me. Just that it is a FF lens and a Nikon 28-300 costs exactly the same. So, it's maybe you, who is surprised, but try to check out the price of the Canon 28-300/3.5-5.6  :blink:

I never heard of any customer Sony was able to force to pay a price or to sell a lens to.

Especially for Sony customers have a bucket full more opportunities to choose lenses from different manufacturers. Sigma has an excellent adapter to bring Canon or Sigma glass with Canon mount in front of an E-mount.

Also, some of the Sony lenses look like high priced. But they also deliver a lot of value, at least optically. What interests more to me is, how long the E-mount will last now... There are still a lot of characters in the alphabet.

Yeah new lens prices!!!

I have taken a somewhat suspicious view to the current trend of adding to a lens one extra stop of light and an additional 2,200 dollars to one that otherwise would have cost $350, just to gain a tad more bokeh at 20mm..

The new Nikon AFS20 F1.4 seems to be of that genre, whilst you are testing the lens shooting flowers close up at full aperture in your front garden and chimping at 100% you can admire  the beautiful rendering of the two  bailiffs coming up your driveway who are about to take possession of your house and just about everything you own.

The only real recompense is if you are a pro- photographer they have no right to take the gear which drove you to bankruptcy in the first place!

Now that the hype is over, the price will increase.

However, yes, Sony has always been ripping you off. It seems as if people have no problem with this though.

The Sony brand name is probably one reason for this.

At the end of the day they charge these prices ... because they can ...

Quote:Now that the hype is over, the price will increase.

However, yes, Sony has always been ripping you off. It seems as if people have no problem with this though.

The Sony brand name is probably one reason for this.

At the end of the day they charge these prices ... because they can ...

Checked with Amazon Italy, 810€, which sounds perfectly consistent with the USD price.

I agree with Klaus. As soon as there's plenty of people buying at any price, those prices are going to stay. I recall times when I was on a very popular forum with lots of people posting, and many of them (pre)ordered almost everything that was announced (not only Sony). Lots of people with lots of money, good for them.  Wink
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
The Nikon 28-300 lens cost â‚¬800/$1000 as Markus's review stated. He has also found that lens to be an optical abomination (for a supposedly modern lens - you don't see a 1½ star rating very often). If the Sony is better - and bear in mind that it has more interesting range for a one-lens solution to boot - the price is alright. Not what I would have bought personally (for a variety of reasons), but again, not out of this world.

I thought you would have a bone to pick with Sony for the 24-70/2.8 70-200/2.8 IS prices instead... now THAT is crazy ($2200 and $2600 respectively - at least at B&H).