Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D
Quote:I think the Nikon and Pentax version have a coupled aperture.

A flare test shot is certainly on my list. 

Kevin said - "yes" (mechanically coupled)

Quote:Kevin said - "yes" (mechanically coupled)

Thanks Klaus!
 Astro-photographers will be looking here, wide open is where they will scrutinize, it does well, but what about it's coma? just been shooting stars with the AF20mm F2.8D (no laughing please) hence the subject of coma, the Nikon looks like the vapour trail from  supersonic aircraft at the point of the sound barrier. 

The performance of this lens will be affected by it's parameters here! 

I did a astroshot yesterday. Not optimal though - some star trails are visible - albeit nice composition I think ;-)
FYI

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lao...=discovery
I added some samples showing the bokeh and flare.

While you can't really expect a nice bokeh from a wide angle lens, the flare handling is worse than average.

The field curvature is also heavier than indicated by the lab tests. I would recommend f/11 to overcome it really.

The sun stars are cool, more organic looking than the very regular sunstars you get on something like to 16-35 2.8.

Quote:I added some samples showing the bokeh and flare.

While you can't really expect a nice bokeh from a wide angle lens, the flare handling is worse than average.

The field curvature is also heavier than indicated by the lab tests. I would recommend f/11 to overcome it really.
Obviously you haven't used the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 lens, then. Smile I will quote Petteri Sulonen (of the long defunct site prime-junta.net) who had been using this lens for awhile, nicknaming it Twinkles... for a good reason. Smile The Frogster (as I would nickname this 12mm unit) looks tame in comparison, and overall it's something we have to live with when shooting wideangles. Smile

Quote: The bad news is that Twinkles twinkles. I've never used a lens anywhere near as prone to producing flare spots. If the sun is in the frame or near it, you'll get a nice row of flare spots of various brightnesses and colors, guaranteed. Even moderately dim light sources, such as an ordinary lamp, can cause the same effect. Sometimes this looks kinda cool and can actually be put to creative use, but most of the time it's a significant annoyance -- in fact, the only concern of note I have with the lens.
Quote:Kevin said - "yes" (mechanically coupled)
If the Sony A version is coupled too, that's the one to get for me.
Kevin (Laowa) told me that they are not seeing the field curvature in some of their samples.

He'll provide sample images.

They'll also investigate the flare issue.